5 Reasons Being On A Sports Team In College Is The Best Decision ever

Going to college can be tough, but I luckily went into school with a group of six girls that hadn’t met me yet, but already had my back.

8
Jordyn Mackenzie Kanak

Being at a school that is 500 miles away from home is never easy for a college freshman. Going into a new place with strangers everywhere is no one's ideal situation, but it's something everyone goes through on that first day of school.

Luckily, I went into my school with a group of six girls that hadn’t met me yet, but already had my back.

Here are five reasons why being on a sports team in college is the best decision I have ever made.

1. They are your family.

Being on a team really forces bonding time, and you really get to know the people. They become closer to you than you ever imagined, and sooner or later, you’re fighting like sisters, which is OK because all sisters fight. But the good times trump the bad and you know they love you no matter what, just like a family.

2. They have your back no matter what.

No matter what the situation is, if you send an S.O.S., the group is there to help you out. I have learned that these girls would really do anything of each other, whether it's fighting someone who is talking to your man, taking care of a sick friend or just going on doughnut runs with you, these girls are there.

3. They know things that you don’t.

Most likely, your team is a bunch of new freshmen and the upperclassmen can already see the new freshmen repeating some of the same mistakes that they have made. Listen to what they say, they know more than you. You might think they are just a year older and they don’t know that much, but trust me, having one year of college under your belt is more information than you could ever imagine.

4. They are your own personal cheerleading squad.

Being that they are your best friends and teammates, they want to see you succeed. They are always cheering you on whether it’s on the court or in the classroom. They will always be there to push you to do your best and call you out when you’re slacking. They want to see the best version of you and they are there to cheer you on until you get there.

5. Win or lose.

No matter what the result is, by the time you leave, everyone is smiling. On the drive back to campus, everyone will sing at the top of their lungs to a cheesy song and dance until your hearts content. Even if the outcome of the matches aren't exactly ideal, we all know that at the end of the day, we're still a strong team.

Basically, I have found that my best friends are this team. I don’t think that I would be surviving college without them. Having a group of people who can be your rock when you need it is the best feeling in the world. If you have a chance to be on a team in college, then it’s so worth it. You find your best friends and your second family that you wouldn’t trade for the world.