5 Reasons I Am Incredibly Grateful For My Odyssey Team EIC

My EIC is one of the best I have worked with in all my time writing and editing online.

27
Caroline Colvin

I have worked on many publications, and I have been an editor on several publications. After working with several editor-in-chiefs, I can confidently say that some are better than others. And, on top of that, having a great editor-in-chief can make all the difference - not just for the publication and team's morale but also when it comes to quality of writing, quality of articles and overall improvement, over time, of the team's writing ability.

I have been writing for Odyssey's Aspiring Journalism Professionals (AJP) team for almost a year now, and I am so grateful for our EIC, Bri Cicero. I actually knew Bri from another organization she and I worked with, but when I saw her call for writers for AJP, I immediately applied.

I wanted to write a list of all the reasons I am thankful for Bri, and I am sure the AJP team will agree with these reasons as well.

1. She leads by example.

Sometimes we miss deadlines, or fail to follow AP Style, or don't follow our content schedule or something else. None of these things are acceptable as content creators or as aspiring journalists. Bri always lets us know when we are off-base with something, and she isn't afraid to take these parts of being a content creator seriously. She is never mean, but she is never afraid to let us know when we are in the wrong or slacking off. In the end, her tough love makes us better content creators and journalists, and it prepares us for the real world of journalism.

3. She treats us all with love and respect.

I've worked with editors who treated writers like crap. I've worked with EICs who walk around like they are infallible because they are the lead editor of the publication. I once worked with a managing editor who got annoyed with me because I couldn't figure out how to do something in Adobe InDesign (which was a new software for all of us, as we had switched over from a previous editing software). That same managing editor was notorious for making the other editors underneath him feel like crap for not knowing how to do something or for whatever other reason he could find. Bri has never once treated any of us with disrespect or hatred. Even though she is brilliant (literally — just take a look at her resume), she doesn't have a "holier-than-thou" attitude. She encourages all of us. She believes in all of us. She never tells any of us that our dreams aren't attainable. When she needs to deliver negative news, she always does it with respect, explains her reasoning and tells us how we can improve and make things better.

4. She is always looking out for our best interest and providing us with opportunities.

Bri is very well-connected and always in the know about new writing opportunities, whether they are paid jobs or internships. She is constantly letting all of us know about new writing opportunities that can help build our resume and grow our portfolio. And, if she personally knows anyone within the publication that has openings, she always offers to put in a good word for her team members.

5. She is more than just an EIC, she is a good friend.

One of the best things about Bri is how good of a friend she is. While Bri is my EIC and the person who lets me know what I need to do and when I need to do it, as well as the person that gives me feedback on my content and tells me what I need to improve, she has always been a good friend to me. We have inside jokes, make each other laugh and have plans to meet up with each other as soon as possible because she and I share the same passion (horseback riding) and often show at the same venues. Oh, and I had to use this "Gossip Girl" .gif as a representation of friendship because Bri and I both have a version of "Queen B" in our Instagram biographies/usernames, and Blair is the original Queen B. Additionally, Bri has also formed close friendships with other members of the AJP team as well, and I am sure other AJP members who have formed friendships with her value their friendship very much. Finally, one last thing that makes Bri so special is her rare ability to keep the professional separate from the personal. Although she is friends with each and every one of us, she still does her job as an EIC and takes actions that need to be taken, even if it is negative, for the benefit of the AJP team.

I could've made this listicle much longer, but I wanted it to be somewhat concise and really highlight the five best qualities I think Bri has. If you skimmed this (which you shouldn't... just sayin'), overall, Bri has a heart of gold, and I dare say she is one of the best EICs out there. I am so grateful to have her as my Odyssey team EIC and also incredibly grateful to be able to call her a good friend that I know will stay in my life for many, many years to come.

Thank you, Bri, for all you do for AJP and for your writers. Your hard work does not go unnoticed, and I wanted to write this listicle to let you know just how much you are appreciated.