5 Quality Hikes In Downeast Maine

5 Quality Hikes In Downeast Maine

Beautiful hikes in the easternmost part of the country.

859
5 Quality Hikes In Downeast Maine
Marty Saccone

If you’re looking for something to do during your stay in Downeast Maine or if you're Downeast for the long haul, hikes are great little adventures to pass the time! Hiking is great exercise, both for the body and mind. Below is a list of five great hikes to check of your list right here in Downeast Maine.

5. Shackford Head Trail, Shackford Head State Park

This 1.2-mile round trip hike is located in Eastport and features high cliffs that overlook Cobscook Bay and the surrounding land bodies. The trail features uneven terrain and cliff lookouts, where caution is strongly encouraged because the park has no regular rangers. On a clear day, this hike is a great spot for a picnic lunch with a spectacular view 173 feet above sea level.

4. The Habitat Trail, Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge

The Habitat Trail, along with 50 miles of other trails, is located in Baring just north of Calais. This 1.25 mile trail takes the hiker through wooded and boggy natural habitats of a variety of wildlife, and features markers that point out signs of wildlife that may otherwise be missed. This hike is great for families seeking a quality outdoor experience that stresses the importance of proper habitats for animals and birds. The Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge is an especially popular destination for birders, as over 200 species have been identified in the refuge alone.

3. Black Point Brook Loop, Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land

Black Point Brook Loop is a 5.5-mile roundtrip hike in Cutler that takes the hiker through wooded trails and along a rocky coast to a small pebble beach at Black Point Cove. The beach is accessible by a wooden ladder, and is safe to explore as long as you keep an eye on the tide! Black Point Brook trails are a part of the Bold Coast Trails prevalent in Maine, and offer breathtaking views of what the Bold Coast really is. One should allow themselves four to five hours for this adventure and, as always, should be adequately prepared for changes in weather.

2. Nature Trail, Cobscook Bay State Park

The Nature Trail at Cobscook Bay State Park in Edmunds is a roughly two-mile forested path that passes along a brook and then rises to two scenic outlook areas where the hiker is able to look out over Whiting Bay and Burnt Cove. Cobscook Bay State Park is an excellent area for camping where forest and ocean meet. The Nature Trail is especially popular (and beautiful!) in late October when fall foliage is at its peak.

1. Coastal Trail, West Quoddy Head State Park

The Coastal Trail, starting at the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, is a four-mile roundtrip excursion along black cliffs formed by volcanic magma that rose from the ocean centuries ago. It is located in the small town of Lubec. The Coastal Trail a moderate trail with areas of challenging terrain and breathtaking views, like those of Gulliver's Hole and Green Point. Gulliver's Hole is a narrow crevasse created by the erosion of a vertical fault in the volcanic rock and Green Point is ledge outcropping where hikers can explore and watch the pounding surf. Connected to the Coastal Trail is the Bog Trail, a one-mile boardwalk trail through a picturesque bog with insect-eating pitcher plants.