5 Public Speaking Tips For Shy People

5 Public Speaking Tips For Shy People

Public speaking isn't exclusive to alpha personalities.

290
5 Public Speaking Tips For Shy People
businessinsider.com

Not everyone is a public speaker, including myself. But public speaking is, nevertheless, inextricably intertwined in our lives. To counter common symptoms of a “shy” presentation- nervousness, blanking out and hyperventilation (just to name a few)- below are some of the most useful tips I’ve accumulated through personal experience and external advice over the span of my 17 (and counting) years.

1. Power Poses

Dana R. Carney, Amy Cuddy and Andy J. Yap of Berkeley, Harvard and Columbia University, respectively, released an article in 2010 that described a small change that could change your life forever: confident body language. According to their research, confident body language, taking the forms of certain “power” poses, significantly increases testosterone levels and decreases levels of cortisol. Testosterone is a major player in self-esteem, assertiveness and dominance; higher levels of testosterone correspond with higher levels of such characteristics. Cortisol, on the other hand, is namely the “stress hormone,” wherein higher levels are associated with anxiety and depression. Through this finding, researchers were able to conclude that as power poses increase testosterone and decrease cortisol, they improve confidence and stress-tolerance. As Amy Cuddy explains in her TED talk, just two minutes of power poses can make a remarkable difference and make you feel more “in power.” So if you’re feeling nervous or anxious before a presentation, take a minute or two to make a power pose. Make yourself big and assume a confident position, for as Cuddy asserts, “our bodies [do] change our minds.”

2. Don't make direct eye contact.

I remember that nearly every time I completely blanked out in the middle of a presentation started with eye contact. Trying to fulfill the unfeasible requirement of “engaging the audience,” I forcefully looked up and around my spectators, looking left, then right, then middle in a mechanic, calculated manner. I’d eventually abandon that motion altogether, settling instead on bouts of awkward 180 scans of the room, looking like a solar-powered turning toy on steroids… until I locked eyes with an audience member. Eyes burning and mind searching (in vain) for forgotten words, it was at this point where I’d pull out the notecards I had carefully prepared for emergencies like these and then realize I’d have to test my impromptu abilities because my handwriting was completely indecipherable (I couldn’t read through tears anyways). The solution? Simply don’t make eye contact. If you’re forced to look at someone directly, try his or her nose, or right between the eyes to focus on. In a classroom setting, look straight back at the wall in the direction of your peers, giving the illusion that your true audience is them, not some crummy wall weathered by resting heads and full-on pranks. In summary, focus on subjects that won’t distract you, yet will give you that check mark on engaging your “audience.”

3. Practice in front of people, not your mirror.

We’ve all heard practice makes perfect. That’s why we run through our speeches and our slides over and over again for hours on end. There’s no problem in that, except that most of us decide to practice presenting to ourselves - in front of our mirrors, in our closets, to our fish (No, your fish cannot comprehend the effects of socioeconomic disparities on the revolutions of 1848, no matter how smart they are.)- instead of to others. Practicing in front of actual people can help not only with presentational skills, but also content. With helpful feedback, you can ensure you not only present professionally, but also present quality material.

4. Don’t try to be perfect.

No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. Stumbling over words and even falling flat on your face doesn’t mean the end of your presentation. Instead of obsessing over everything that could go wrong, focus instead on how you can recover from them if you happen to make a mistake. Of course, I don’t mean for you to go on stage expecting to fail just so you can gracefully recover with a clever joke or the determination to bulldoze on. But I do mean for you to know that there are ways you can counter mistakes, should they even happen. So sit back, relax and enjoy your presentation, knowing that it’s okay not to be perfect.

Another piece of advice: Don’t write out what you’re going to say word for word. If you do, you’re more likely to end up reciting instead of speaking, determined to get your presentation down by the letter. Keep in mind several main points to talk about instead so you’ll have a less rigid structure to work with. Presentations often call for flexibility and adaptability, something that’s harder to achieve with a set speech.

5. “The audience does not judge you, so do not judge the audience.”

Several weeks ago, I attended an iSchool workshop held at Johns Creek High School. One of the most enlightening things I learned there was this piece of advice: “The audience does not judge you, so do not judge the audience.”

For me, my biggest fear was my audience. I was afraid of their criticism and of their judgment. I saw them as an opposing force, sitting in their chairs almost mildly, yet ready to spring immediately on my mistakes at any chance they got. Admist such thoughts, it’s hard to remember that your audience wants to be there. They are there because they chose to hear you speak. And even if they do criticize you or ask you pointed questions, it’s all the better for you. Clarifying what may be a shared concern and receiving feedback are key to improving your presentation. If an audience member throws out a rude remark, don’t take it personally. Brush it off lightly and move on. Don’t let your audience dictate what you say or do; let them know who you are and what you stand for instead.