5 Philosophies Of Every Successful Leader

When all else fails, your skills as a leader may be the only thing holding the pieces together.

34
dukeintegrativemedicine.org

Whether you're looking to get ahead in the military or the corporate world, leadership is crucial to reaching goals and getting support from those around you. Your college experience is the perfect opportunity to practice different leadership styles and find what works for you. From peer leadership to subordinate leadership (see my article on the difference between the two), you'll have a chance to make mistakes and learn from them so you can succeed in the "real world." Whether this happens on the athletic fields, in the classroom or in your fraternity/sorority, take note of the good, the bad and the ugly of the leadership moments you experience and improve yourself. To get you started, based on my experiences at the United States Air Force Academy, here are five philosophies of every successful leader:

1. Your people come first:

In the Air Force we say "Mission First, People Always," but on the civilian side of things your people should always come first, and they need to know that. Today's society is focused on "what is best for me" or "how can I get ahead," but what you have to remember is that the only way we will succeed as a species (yes, a species) is through cooperation. Step back and put the problems in your life in perspective. You have food to eat, a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, clothes to wear and friends to share it all with. If we can change the way our societies think and turn our attention toward others, imagine how incredible life can be. Here's another way to describe it as told to me by an Air Force General: instead of walking around with "arrows in" (focusing only on your own issues and feeling bad for yourself), turn those arrows around and direct your energy towards those around you. Imagine how many more arrows would be on you and those around you if we connected with one another and helped one another solve problems in our lives. If you can help fix the personal problems people have outside of work, they can perform their job better without worrying about outside distractions.

2. Accept and encourage new ideas but be firm with your final decision:

A leader should always be open to input and even encourage others to voice their concerns and ideas. "Two heads are better than one" isn't just an old adage your Grandpa tells you. Most of the time there is another way to achieve an objective, and it may be better than what you thought of. Even if it isn't, it can give you an understanding of how someone thinks and even draw attention to flaws in your own plan. In the end, you have to stand by the decision you make. A strong leader doesn't shy away from failure and takes full responsibility for a mistake. The last thing your people want to see is someone who makes excuses about a misstep. Own your failures, own your achievements and never back down from criticism.

3. Praise in public, reprimand in private:

This strategy also comes from the Air Force, but it applies easily and readily to everyday life. It's as simple as it seems: When someone succeeds and does a good job, praise him in front of his peers. Not only will it inspire him to keep working hard, his peers may want to be the next ones in the spotlight so they'll step things up as well. In a similar line of thinking, never reprimand someone in public. Make examples of people who do well, not those who don't. You'll lose the trust of all of your people and embarrass the individual you made an example of. Mistakes are a part of growing, and everyone will make a mistake sooner or later. Make sure people know mistakes are OK so long as they learn from them and take steps to avoid them in the future.

4. Know at least one thing about everyone in the room:

Knowing your people is crucial to gaining and holding their trust, but this philosophy can also help you get ahead with people you don't know so well. When you step in a room, try to absorb as much information from the people in it you as you can, it may come in handy. For example, let’s say you meet a new client who is trying to decide whether or not to do business with your company. In your first meeting, learn as much about them as you can, without prying. Prove you are a “real” person and not some robot just trying to make money. The next time you see him lead in with a question about something personal you learned the last time the two of you met. Not only will they be impressed that you remembered something about them other than business, your question creates a personal connection between you and your client. Personal connections are always stronger than business connection. This concept applies to the people who look to you as a leader as well, it’s just far more important. Know a little bit about their lives outside of work and show you care about the wellbeing of them and their family.

5. Lead the charge:

We've all seen movies where a soldier in battle leads his men out of the trenches, up the beach or across the field; it’s an inspiring act. When something needs to get done, lead your people to face the challenge. Set the example and set the pace, your people will fall in behind you and take the reins. At the same time, act as a peer rather than a superior. Get down and dirty in the project. An Air Force Master Sergeant once told me a story of a pilot who pushed his aircraft past its limits, exceeding its G-load (the limit at which the aircraft may rip itself apart from structural stress). Instead of leaving the lengthy inspection process to his maintenance crew, he went up to the crew and asked to help them fix the plane. He owned his mistake and submersed himself in finding a solution to the problem. It means a lot to your people when you offer a hand, even if you aren’t much help. However, don’t micromanage. Show your people that you trust them to get the job done.