5 Personal Goals Everyone Needs to Make

5 Personal Goals Everyone Needs to Make

How well do you know yourself?

188
5 Personal Goals Everyone Needs to Make

Ever since elementary school we’ve been told we need to make goals, and we are taught to be goal driven. However, it seems most of these goals are outward in a sense, meaning they are not simply for the betterment of ourselves as people. Sure, having a goal to be successful, or married, or rich is outstanding, aim high! To get to those places, we have to look at inside first, we have to get to know ourselves. Make a goal for you, and only you. Here are 5 life goals everyone should make for themselves, and keep.

1. Be authentic

This may seem odd, but it is the most necessary. Be authentic in all you do, be real. So many people these days mold themselves after someone else, or someone who they wish they could be. Don’t make a goal to be you, and to be genuine in every situation. If you’re hurting, be honest with yourself and others. If you’re happy, share your joy without bragging-- a good attitude is contagious. Who knows, you may even surprise yourself at how amazing you are. Do what makes you happy, and share with others who find joy in the same place. Find yourself and stay unapologetically you.

2. Be kind

This goes beyond saving face to spare some feelings, this starts in your thoughts. There is a train of consciousness, from unconsciously incompetent, to unconsciously competent. Start by being consciously incompetent, then change your mindset. Correct yourself when your thoughts do not align with your goals, and create new patterns. If you focus on being kind in your mind, eventually it will translate to your words and actions and before you know it you will be unconsciously competent at being kind. How you define kind, depends on how you view kind, that is open to interpretation.

3. Know your limits

At some point, everyone reaches a limit and must stop or even step back from a task or situation. This goal will cause you to be more introspective, and truly pay attention to your own needs. While on the surface this may seem selfish, it is one of the most selfless things a person can do. Before you can help others, you must first help yourself. Push yourself, but know when you’ve hit a limit that would cause more harm than good to push even further. To conquer this goal, you must learn to know yourself.

4. Be brave

Contrary to knowing your limits, sometimes expanding your comfort zone means creating new limits. A change in mindset from a situation being a disaster or a failure, instead view that situation as a learning experience. Everyday we all face something that can serve as a way to learn something new. Do something that makes you uncomfortable or nervous about the outcome or consequences(on a personal level). Having the courage to push yourself will help you to know your limits, or even create new ones. If you never venture out of your box, you will forever be stuck in one place.

5. Forgive and be grateful.

Forgive yourself for not taking a risk. Forgive that friend that did something dumb. Forgive the world for being harsh. Forgive any situation that upset you to any degree, but do not forget, instead learn. If a situation requires forgiveness, it has something to teach you. Whether it be how to better handle a situation, how to carry on, to ask for help, even how to forgive, or any other lesson, there is something to be learned and strength and knowledge to be learned. New knowledge and experiences are always something to be grateful for. Instead or harbouring bad feelings, be grateful you are somewhere you weren’t before, you’re growing.

These goals will never be able to be measured-- only you can determine if you've reached them.