5 New Year's Resolutions To Make in 2017

Not your typical list

16
Huffington Post

For many, 2016 was a less than enjoyable year. From the death of Alan Rickman and Carrie Fisher, to the end of Brangelina, and an election that drove the country to chaos — 2016 had its flaws. However, we can finally rejoice because it is finally 2017 and a clean slate has been created. Now is a time to start fresh, reinvent yourself, and wipe away all traces of the past. As a result of this overwhelming desire to make a change, resolutions are often created as a stepping stone into a new life. In this article, I have compiled a list of resolutions that I believe everyone should consider making this upcoming year.

1. Better Yourself

Now, I’m not just saying to get a gym membership and start eating more vegetables. I believe that this resolution should be to improve your overall well-being. So yes, workout if you’re physically able to, and eat those veggies so that you can take care of your health, but make the rest of yourself healthy as well. Read more books and expand your mind. Get in touch with your spirituality, whatever that may consist of, and take the time to figure out the things that give you happiness and make time for them. This year I urge you to become balanced in your mind, body, and soul; something that I truly believe will give you a year of joy and satisfaction.

2. Be Kinder Towards Others

This is one is a lot easier said than done. Trust me, I know how annoying and exhausting this can be. Let’s be honest, people can be rude, irritating, obnoxious, and ungrateful. However, they can also be kind, giving, loving, honest, and incredibly impactful in others life. I encourage everyone to try and be part of the latter group. This year, focus less on negativity and try to be the type of person that no one can speak badly about. Be loving and understanding, be a good friend and branch out to those who need one. This is the year, more than ever, that we need to take arms with those around us and show that we may not be as divided as everyone thinks.

3. Find Your Passion

This is simple. All the things that you love to do, all the hobbies and interests, start to invest in those more this year. Find something that brings you joy, excitement, and satisfaction and do more of it. Stop putting things aside because they may not be as “important” or as “significant” as your job or school. Use this year to discover what you love because it may just bring you more happiness than you could imagine.

4. Conquer A Fear

With all the crazy, unattainable goals that can be made for the New Year, I believe that this one is the most realistic. You can start small and work your way up the list of fears you may have. Afraid of heights? Try and go on a rollercoaster and realize it’s not that bad. Scared of speaking in public? Sign up for a local improv class, or even start reading to kids at a local library. There are so many small steps you can take to move past things that have kept you back before, and become the person you’ve always wanted to be.

5. Finally, Take The Plunge

This is a new year, page one of a 365-page book that has yet to be written. Use this to your advantage. Don’t hold yourself back anymore. If you’ve been contemplating ending or starting a relationship, do it. If you’ve been wanting to ask for a raise at work, now is the time. If you’ve felt like your friends haven’t been the best, and you want them to change; tell them and start making yourself a priority for once. This is the time to be fearless and bold. There is no excuse to not change your life. It’s a new year full of endless possibilities, and it’s your turn to take the plunge and make your life exactly what you want it to be.

Happy New Year everyone, I hope this is the best year yet and that you all find the happiness, strength, and answers you’ve been looking for. This is the year to do it, no matter what “it” may be.