5 New Year's Resolutions That Don't Involve The Gym

The January gym rush is great, but supplement it with resolutions that will benefit your mind as much as your body!

102
Huffington Post

Although I’m all for working out and getting healthy, the January gym rush seems to be everyone’s go-to when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions! I totally support “working out” as a resolution— just don’t make it your only goal this year! Take a look at five non-aesthetic goals that will benefit your mind and soul in 2018 as much as your body.

1. Get literate

As you get older and work starts to pile up, it can be hard to find time for reading for pleasure! Make it your resolution this year to try to read one book of your choice each month unrelated to work.

How?

-Join a book club! Having a set discussion time will hold you accountable for reading, while you’ll still be in charge of what you read! Plus, being with friends to discuss your books will make reading seem like less of a chore and more of an excuse for wine and snacks.

-Don’t know what to read? Use Goodreads to find a book similar to those you’ve enjoyed in the past! Goodreads’ website allows you to fill in your genre preferences and past favorites to generate a customized list of suggested reads. Moreover, if you add your friends, you’ll be able to see what they’ve read as well!

-Subscribe to Book of the Month! Each month, this subscription site will curate a selection of 5 books available for your pleasure. After reviewing the list, pick the one you’re most interested in & it will arrive at your door within days! If you’re behind on Christmas gifts, packages are available to gift as well!

2. Get informed

It seems as though every day a new scandal or travesty breaks, and it can be easy to want to ignore it all. However, whether you’re a fan of politics or not, staying up-to-date on the current political situation is necessary to being an informed citizen and voter. You know yourself; try to make a goal of reading a news article once a day, week, or every two days, depending on your preferences.

How?

-If you’re a student, joining publications like The Odyssey or The Northeastern Political Review are a great way to both hone your writing skills and force yourself to stay up-to-date on current events. A timetable of due projects will give you accountability, while the organization in itself will give you resources!

-If you have an iPhone, use the News app to customize your preferences so that you’ll see content that you’re interested in. You might want to hear specifically about Middle Eastern politics, or health and wellness, or both! Once you plug n your preferences, the app will send you notifications when stories break in your selected categories.

-The news is everywhere! If you don’t have time to sit down and read, turn on your favorite news outlet on TV to listen to while you get ready. If you always have your computer out, bookmark The New York Times’ or The Guardian’s websites to remind you of your resolution! If technology isn’t for you, don’t rule out print publications— I always see stacks of newspapers free for the taking when I’m making a run to Starbucks or Whole Foods.

3. Get secure

Money is something that (almost) everyone has stressed about at one point or another. This year, try to cut back on some of the stress that comes with finances by making a plan that allows you to both spend and save so that you’ll enjoy yourself now and later!

How?

-Set goals! Aim to save a portion of your paycheck each week (whatever you can!) and reward yourself with dinner or a manicure at the end of the month if you’re successful! If you’re planning on saving for something like a vacation, use your *gift* to yourself each month to stock up on related items, like a new bathing suit! This will keep your goal on your mind while giving you even more incentive to save.

-Choose one day in the week and try to go through it without spending any money out-of-pocket. This doesn’t mean don’t pay your bills or try to figure out your daily rate for rent— just try to go through the day without buying lunch or making a coffee stop. All those cups of Dunkin' add up! If say, every Wednesday, you’re conscious of the fact that you haven’t spent any money, you’ll both feel a sense of accomplishment and realize that you can go without many of your daily expenses.

-Budget! You can find tons of cute, free printables online that will allow you to itemize your expenses for the week in advance. Making lists gives a sense of productivity, and filling out budget sheets is no different! By itemizing your expenses, you won’t be able to make excuses for yourself when you want to spend frivolously. Moreover, you’ll be able to keep track of your progress over the weeks and reward yourself with the money you’ve saved.

4. Get organized

It’s my belief that it’s much easier to be productive when you’re living somewhere clean (not that I always follow my own advice in this regard). Bring a new meaning to “spring cleaning” by making it a priority to stay organized, both in your home and personal life.

How?

-Again with the printables! For each week, plan which days you’ll do your chores in advance so that you know you’ll have time for them. List which chores you’ll be doing daily and which you’ll be doing weekly, and post your schedule somewhere visible. You’ll feel a sense of responsibility when you see your list each day!

-Motivate yourself with supplies! Just like buying new fitness clothes makes me want to work out more, buying cleaning or household supplies will make you feel a responsibility to use them! For example, if your goal is to make your bed each morning, treat yourself to new sheets to motivate you! Alternatively, give yourself more of an incentive by holding off on the sheets until you’ve consistently made your bed every day for a month.

-Sync your schedules! If you’re a student, I suggest using both paper and electronic planners. Paper planners are easier to keep track of homework with, while your phone calendar will notify you when a deadline is coming up. Use both to reap all the benefits! If you’re living with your family, using the iCloud to sync everyone in the family’s schedules is a great way to see the big picture and cut down on miscommunication. This way, the 'rents can see that Hannah is going to need a ride to a friend’s house at 2 even though she hasn’t mentioned it yet.

5. Get giving

My personal favorite: since New Year’s resolutions are usually about bettering yourself, share the wealth by helping those around you. A little can go a long way when it comes to giving.

How?

-Volunteer! Find a local charity or nonprofit that you support and make it a goal to volunteer once a month. You can work with the Girl Scouts, volunteer at a soup kitchen, or help out at a 5k! The opportunities are endless; just research what’s available in your area and keep up-to-date on their hours and special events.

-If you’re unable to volunteer, donate! Set aside a monthly amount that works with your budget; even $5 works! Donate monetarily to your favorite organization online or gather canned goods, clothing and books to give away.

-Spread the word! These organizations can only sustain the work they do through our support, so the more publicity they get, the better! Host a film screening of Salaam Neighbor to draw attention to the refugee crisis or use I Am Malala or Just Mercy for that book club you joined to support The Malala Fund and The Equal Justice Initiative.

Whatever goals you set for 2018, make them things you care about! You're much more likely to follow through with a goal that means something to you-- if you want to steal any of my resolutions, feel free to tweak them here and there to make them your own. Cheers to the new year!