5 New Hobbies I Picked Up

5 New Hobbies I Picked Up

Quarantine gave me a lot of time to start doing new things, so I picked up a couple hobbies along the way.

25
5 New Hobbies I Picked Up

Since quarantine started, I haven't been able to do a lot of things I would do if this were a normal summer. Therefore, certain activities became more prevalent in my everyday life, some of which I had never really done before. I am thankful that I started doing these things because I will continue doing them for the rest of my life.

Hiking

Before quarantine, I had never gone hiking. Now, I find myself going every week, wanting to try different trails and locations. Hiking is an activity that allows for minimal contact with other people, so it became something I now do very frequently. I love being outside and being active, so hiking is a great way for me to get my daily exercise while enjoying the journey.

Painting

When I was younger I used to draw and paint a little bit, but nothing too serious. During quarantine, I started doing Zoom paint nights with friends, and it became a normal activity for me. My family got small canvases and paint from Michael's and since then I've been doing a lot of painting. I paint to relax and have fun, and even though I am trying to improve my skills, it's not really my main focus. Blending colors, creating a cohesive image, dragging the paintbrush against the canvas are all satisfying things for me.

Walking

Another activity that I picked up in quarantine was walking. I was never really one to go on walks before; I used to run almost every day, but I realize that I liked power walking a lot more. Going on walks as a family was something we started doing in quarantine, and after that, I started to walk by myself while listening to music, a podcast, or an audiobook. Walking is a fun, easy way to get exercise and be outside. It's also less tiring than running, which I liked.

Baking

Another activity I really got into in quarantine was baking. When quarantine first started I would make chocolate chip banana bread on repeat. Slowly I started delving into other things such as lemon cookies, cake pops, cakes, brownies, cupcakes, etc. I really like baking because it's calming and the results are (usually) delicious. It's also something I can do alone or with family, depending on what I want.

Reading

Finally, another hobby I've picked up again is reading. I have read so many books since quarantine started that I can't even keep count. I've reread series like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The Sisters Grimm, CHERUB, etc. I've also read a lot of stand alone books. The one I read most recently was One Of Us is Lying by Karen McManus, which I absolutely loved. Reading is always fun because I love getting into the stories and the world building that goes on.