5 Music Confessions From A Non-Music Major

"Musical Diatribe" Op.1 in F Major

46
Dr. Odd

As you probably can tell from the title, I was not a music major. In fact, I was perhaps the furthest away from being a music major. I majored in accounting and I can ensure it has been naturally boring at times (*sarcasm definitely intended*). Even though I have never taken up a musical instrument, I consider myself a good singer and my brain has a vast encyclopedia of music from classical to rock. I've never told anybody about this, but I have some confessions I must confess, as it relates to all things music. Five to be exact. Major and minor shocks (see what I did there?) are expected, so you have been warned in advance.

1. I am a huge admirer of ABBA's music.

I understand ABBA is not as popular among the male audience, but their songs are so catchy! "Dancing Queen," "Take A Chance on Me," "Super Trouper," "Mamma Mia," "S.O.S.," "The Winner Takes It All," and "Waterloo," just to name a few, have a pure pop sound at these songs' foundations, but the melodies are so well written and the vocals and harmonies are mesmerizing. If I had a choice between Swedish Fish and ABBA, I'd take ABBA any day. Also, "Mamma Mia!" is a pretty solid musical and film. Just stay clear of Pierce Brosnan's singing voice.

2. I do not find Queen's music all that spectacular.

Cue the outrage! While Freddie Mercury was perhaps one of the greatest vocalists in rock history, anytime I hear "Bohemian Rhapsody" come on the radio, I immediately change the station. To me, it's an overrated song that has been overused. The only Queen song I do like a great deal is "Under Pressure," but mostly because of David Bowie. "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" are great rock anthems but again, are overrated and overused. To me, music loses its wonder and uniqueness when it is over-killed in pop culture. Queen's music is a perfect representation of that opinion.

3. I absolutely detest modern day hip-hop and rap music.

Classic hip hop and precursor rap music, such as the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" and "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, are absolute gems and provide enjoyable listening. Modern day rap music however, such as Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back", contains vulgar language, misogynistic and sexist undertones, and so much artificial instrumentation that it is barely listenable. There are many fans of rap who will disagree with my opinions about it, but if you are still reading these confessions without angrily tossing out your laptop, I commend you.

4. One of my favorite songs of all-time is Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb."

Originally released on "The Wall", "Comfortably Numb" is perhaps Pink Floyd's signature song. The beautiful melody and the guitar solos make this one of the greatest songs in rock history. The studio album version however, is not the best version, in my opinion. The best version, to me, is with Roger Waters, Van Morrison, and the Band performing the song at an outdoor concert in Berlin in 1990 where "The Wall" was performed in its entirety not long after the Berlin Wall had been torn down. If you have seen the film "The Departed", you know which version I'm talking about.

5. I love progressive rock in all of it's glory!

Progressive rock, in simplistic terms, is rock music that has elements of classical music, unusual time signatures, and is the complete opposite of pop music. My favorite bands in this genre include Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull. Pretty much all of the bands whose album covers are referenced above in the photo. From the 19 minute magnum opus "Close to the Edge" by Yes, to the 23 minute masterpiece "Supper's Ready" by Genesis, the multitude of melodies, vocals, and time signature curve balls within progressive music takes one to a world he or she can not possibly imagine. It is definitely worth a listen if you can find the time.