5 Most Appropriated Aspects Of Black Culture

The various sides of being African-American that people love to appropriate.

2814
ART | Library Deco

Although we (African-Americans) are continuously oppressed by society, being stopped by police officers for DWBs (driving while black), and being sentenced to amazingly long prison sentences for minor charges, everyone seems to want to be black. Cultural appropriation ring a bell? It should because it is apparent now more than ever. Americans do not want to experience black people struggles, but here are five reasons why everybody is attempting to partake in the African-American experience.

1. African-American culture is a fun culture.

The culture that encompasses being an African-American individual is one with varying aspects. There are numerous things that constitute a culture and all of ours seem to be desired. The food that is often used to stereotype the African-American community contains flavors one cannot deny. Soul encompasses numerous dishes such as fried chicken, collard greens, baked macaroni and cheese, and fried fish. How does this explain people wanting to be black? Ask Kentucky Fried Chicken, Popeye’s and Bojangles. These food chains are making millions by producing typical food from the African-American culture for the masses (mostly, white people).

Hair and fashion are another aspect of culture. Cornrows, a hairstyle developed to assist with the maintenance of African-American hair, is often seen on black women and labeled ghetto, inappropriate, and sometimes weird/ugly. Yet, we often see these hairstyles on runways in places known for high fashion such as Paris and New York City. This “ghetto hair-do” is then labeled “innovative,” “chic,” and “refreshing” and is often marketed to girls who will then follow in these models' footsteps.

2. Being born with melanin is like being born with anti-aging cream.

There really isn’t much to say about this particular case in point as black males and females are walking examples. Being born African-American means you are rewarded, an unlimited supply of anti-aging cream. Can anybody guess the age of Janet Jackson? Halle Berry? Pharrell? Nope. Shoutout to that melanin.

3. The different shades of brown are something people aspire to.

Diversity within the African-American community is clearly shown within the culture and also the various shades of brown that shine within our skin. An amazing quality that comes with being black is the beautiful skin we are born with. And yet again this seems to be something that is desired by others (yet considered ugly on us). Numerous types of people are often found spending their money in tanning salons. Why may you ask? To get darker. To develop the skin tone that African-Americans are born with and often criticized and ostracized for.

4. We supply a platform of music that everyone wants to stand on but no one helped build.

When African-Americans first started to develop a sound and place in music, it was labeled “Colored Music.” But soon enough, Rhythm and Blues, Jazz, and even Rap have slowly turned into a predominantly black industry to one of appropriation. It was frequently hard for black artists to get performance gigs and plays on the radio if it was known that they were African-American. However, when a Caucasian artist was presented playing the catchy genre that was created by African-Americans, they were quick to be put on the radio. But more recently, this phenomena of white artists making black music is still visible. We have white rappers like Macklemore, that should be labeled pop, winning a Grammy in the Rap category over Kendrick Lamar. We have movies like Whiplash, about a genre that was created by black musicians, awarding and starring white musicians. African Americans have provided a platform of music that everyone else stands on (aka takes advantage of).

5.Black women's bodies are the ideal (on white women of course).

African-American women are often known for their curvaceous and muscular bodies, but before their recognition for their wide hips, plump lips and voluptuous rear end, black women was displayed for their bodily assets. People were so amazed by the shape of their figures, that black women were put into zoo-like settings where people would watch in amazement. Fast forward to the 21st Century, we have caucasian women spending thousands of dollars to “improve” their bodies. Plumper lips, bigger asses and breast implants seem to be the norm. I am all for bodily expression, as one should be able to fix whatever body part they despise. Yet, it seems rather disturbing that white women are being found attractive for the same assets that black women were put on display for the purpose of mocking. The bodies of black females are now being looked to as the ideal, as long as it has white skin.

There are going to be people who hate this post. I get it, the truth sucks. But let’s look at the people within our society and see where they are getting their trends. A lot of the “new” movements taking over pop culture are not new at all. These are things that have been within African-American culture for a while and have often been used to stereotype us and keep us oppressed. But it’s okay, because black tendencies look great on white skin.