5 Misconceptions of Communication Majors

No it's not an "easy" major.

231
Nick Hillier

It never comes as a surprise to get a giggle or a comment like "Are you learning how to talk to people?" after I tell people that I am studying communication. At one time I was even asked, "Do you want to be a stay-at-home mom? Becuase that's why most people are studying Communication." Ouch.

So here's a quick flash of my story.... I started out majoring in Marketing. Yup, business school, 80 person lecture halls, and professors who have won all kinds of awards in the corporate world. If there is anyone in the world who is not fit for sitting at a desk 8 hours a day or participating in board room meetings, it's me. I didn't fit the mold. I found that Marketing was not my calling, but I highly respect those who have studied Marketing and pursue such careers. Before transferring schools my junior year I thought, let's try something new! Looking through my college's website I perused the majors being offered. Psychology was my first thought as I have always been interested in the way the mind works. In the description of the major, one sentence stated: "most people attend graduate school before pursuing a career". I crossed that one off my list. God bless those who are motivated to attend grad school! Then I found a tab that lead me to "Communication (B.A.)" followed by the sound of a drum roll in my head. I remembered my dad mentioning he studied Organizational Communication in college, which clicked in my mind. In all honesty, my father has communication skills that are desirable by every person he meets. Plus, he makes it look so effortless. And what girl doesnt want to be just like her dad?

Huge thanks to the Communication Studies Society at University of North Carolina Wilmington for contributing to this article!

1. We didn't major in communications because we are incapable of majoring in anything else.

Follow your passion without caring what other people think.

2. We don't sit in class learning how to "talk" to people.

We study theories that establish the reason behind why people do what they do. Have you ever had a conversation with someone and their arms were crossed? Do you remember walking away from the conversation feeling like they didn't care about one word that came out of your mouth? You're probably right. Crossing your arms can be completely unconscious, but it comes across as you're bored or disengaged. What other things do we do that shows our bosses or professors that we are not interested?

3. Interpreting vs. Viewing

The first day of class my professor said, "Once you learn these theories, you will never look at the world the same way". But really! By studying communication, I have gained knowledge I can use in everyday life. From analyzing a misunderstanding between myself and a friend to the questions interviewers ask. Every task we do holds a lot of meaning. Just Google your favorite song and the reason behind why the artist wrote it. Can you figure out why the song has been on repeat for the past week?

4. We don't debate.

People assume majoring in Communication will include debates similar to those in ancient times between Aristotle and Socrates. If you're looking to chew someone's head off with your words, sorry but this not the area of study for you. If you want to understand why relationships fail, step into my office.

5. It's not an "easy major"

"College is easy", said no one ever. Just like education majors don't decorate coloring pages, Communication majors don't learn phonics.Just because there is no direct career path, doesn't mean communication students are taking the easy way out.