5 Issues More Important Than Taylor Swift Appearing To Be Nude In '...Ready For It'

Because this is real life not our "Wildest Dreams"

213
Taylor Swift//VEVO

Taylor Swift. Whether a fan, an undeniable hater, or just your average citizen, there is no doubt this is a name you've heard several times. Why? Because the girl is everywhere. Making new music that may or may not be about other celebrities, feuding with the Kardashians and Kanye West, cursing Katy Perry, or writing about another breakup - Swift always has a lot going on. The latest: Taylor Swift appearing to be seemingly nude in her new video release "Ready For It." Everyone from E! News, People Magazine, celebrities, Twitter users, and "Swifties" have speculated about the artist who once made a point to say she "didn't need to remove her clothes to sell records." My aim here is not to attack Taylor Swift; simmer down, Swifties. I do recognize her talent and some of the good she has done, but let me offer this: Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, there are more pressing matters in the world than Taylor Swift looking naked in a music video?

1. Flint Michigan Water Crisis

For those of you who didn't know, while the water has become more acceptable in Flint, residents are still urged to drink only bottled or filtered water, meaning the Flint Michigan Water Crisis is not over. The people of Flint cannot go back to using their regular water supply, something they haven't been able to do since 2014, until all the lead pipes have been replaced. This is expected to be completed no sooner than 2020. I'd be willing to bet even Ms. Swift thinks this issue deserves more public concern.

2. Healthcare For All

While some Americans, possibly the more privileged or simply out of touch, are concerning themselves with Taylor Swift being naked in a music video and all the reasons why she either is or isn't, other Americans are trying to determine how they're going to cover their child's operation, or their own medication. Rather than being so concerned with the "Ready For It" video and using social media platforms to defend your position on a possibly nude Taylor Swift, we should be calling upon our representatives to fight for universal healthcare. We all have a voice - decide to use it for things that can change and better the world.

3. Violence Against Women

As many of you know, sexual harassment, rape, and domestic abuse are all issues that we're seeing at an all-time high. We're also still seeing lack of justice for the victims of these crimes. Recently, celebrities have started a hashtag on twitter, #MeToo, to raise awareness of how often women are sexually assaulted and harassed. The social media movement urged and prompted several women to step forward and share their stories. While the instances described are disgusting and haunting, it portrays how much work we have to do as a country to guarantee women's rights and safety, as well as the magnitude of this issue. Something we all know Taylor Swift has encountered and overcome herself.

4. Hurricane Relief Efforts

Recently the United States and U.S. territories have been hit with devastating storms. One of these disasters was category 4 Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. The official death toll stands at 54 and was ranked as the most intense hurricane landfall in Puerto Rico since years prior to The Great Depression. Most of Puerto Rico was left without power, water, and some without shelter or contact with loved ones. Six weeks later, officials say only about 30% of the population (businesses and homes) has power. Some citizens are describing Puerto Rico's conditions as "apocalyptic." While some within the United States are aiding in the relief and recovery efforts, such as celebrities Kim Kardashian and Jimmy Fallon, more can be done by the everyday person as well. There are plenty of places to donate to the efforts, such as Red Cross and Mercy Corps. Take a minute to make a donation - even a small one helps. Share with others, and then you may go back to deciphering Taylor Swift's cryptic lyrics and videos. Swift herself made a generous donation to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

5. Racism On The Rise

While I think it is more than fair to say racism has never gone away, recently we have definitely seen a rise in its followers and activities. This includes the reemergence of hate groups, gatherings and rallies of racists, neo-Nazis, and white supremacists such as those seen in Charlottesville and Florida. We have seen racially targeted hate crimes, unlawful deaths, and violence due to prejudice. This is not acceptable, and some of our representatives' reluctance to condemn these acts is terrifying. Racist rallies, and yelling racial slurs is not peaceful protesting. This is not being a patriot, this is threatening to the United States as we know it. Call your representatives, stand for racial justice, ask them to stand for racial justice, align with those facing discrimination and racially targeted violence. Tweet, share, and use your voice to discuss this issue. Fight for the rights of all Americans, and make everyone in the United States know racism is non-negotiable and cannot be tolerated. Human rights for all matters, and no one can afford to be excluded from this narrative. So step up. Show that unity is a force to be reckoned with.

So Swifties and the rest of the world, Taylor Swift is a fascinating woman. I will give you that. She writes songs that has the world in a stir of who they could possibly be about, has an elite group of celeb groupies, and plenty of talent. However, maybe next time a T-Swift song, video, or feud sends you in a frenzy, first determine if there is something of more importance you could be concerning yourself with. Then you may carry on.