5 Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds

5 Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds

These pups won't make your nose all stuffy, eyes all puffy, or throat all scratchy!

300
5 Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds
pinterest

Allergies are a huge problem for many people in the world, and sadly allergies to animals (dogs, cats, etc.) are at the top of the list. But fear not for the ones that want a fur baby (specifically a dog) there is still hope! There are breeds out there that are 'hypoallergenic'. Yay! But wait, what does that mean? According to Dictionary.Com hypoallergenic means "designedtoreduceorminimizethepossibilityofanallergicresponse,asbycontainingrelativelyfewornopotentiallyirritatingsubstances". So basically the hair from these dogs will not make your nose all stuffy, eyes all puffy, or throat all scratchy.

So here are five hypoallergenic (and possible future fur baby!) breeds to check out. ( Regardless you're looking for these types of breeds or not, they are still so cute to look at!)

Bichon Frise

First, lets just take in this true fluff ball. Truly take it in. So. Much. Fluff.

The Bichon Frise are a smaller breed dog that is perfect for anyone looking for a high energy, all around goofy companion. These dogs are good for apartment living, they love children (and other dogs if introduced early in life), but they're not too keen on being left alone! Also be prepared for those grooming bills, this pups coat needs a lot of pampering. An interesting fact about the Bichon Frise is that you might think they would belong to the Toy Group, but actually they're apart of the Non-Sporting Group. (For this breed though consult your doctor with your allergies, he's good for most allergens but not all!)

Bedlington Terrier

First thing that comes to mind when looking at this glorious pup is that they kind of looks like little lambs. Do you see it??

Bedlington Terriers are perfect for owners with lots of personality, because they come with tons of it! This breed is very energetic and loves to be the center of attention, and they will not let you forget who the real star of the show is. Bedlington's can be stubborn at times so when it comes to training you have to make sure your pup knows who's boss, and make sure training comes with positive reinforcement. They are great family dogs if raised around children, and will always brighten your day with their outgoing behaviors and antics.

Giant Schnauzer

Just look how majestic this guy is. Regal, commanding, stoic.

The Giant Schnauzer is an extremely loyal, and courageous companion who will be the perfect exercise buddy for the more athletic owner. This breed definitely loves the great out doors, so will need lots of room to run and bound and play, so apartment living is not ideal for them. Also while this breed is very affectionate, small children are also not recommended because of his size and strong behavior. The best home for this one is a single, or couple family home that gives him 100% of their attention. They are extremely intelligent dogs and will give their all and learn quickly with positive reinforcement training. So if you need a dog that you want to take for runs, jogs, or hikes and read philosophy with than this is the breed for you!

West Highland Terrier

Those ears. Those eyes. That tail. How can you not fall in love?

The West Highland Terrier (whom you've probably seen in the dog food commercials, unless you live under a rock) is a Scottish breed who definitely knows they're the best thing around. This pup will be best for happy, go lucky people who always want to laugh and play. Westies (their adoring nickname) are very intelligent, obedient, and caring dogs who make great apartment companions who can thrive in country or city. These pups can be pretty noisy though so make sure your walls are not too paper thin! While these dogs can enjoy an evening on your lap still expect them to be highly independent.

Shichon (mix breed between Bichon Frise and Shih Tzu)

Well for this one I am a bit bias, since these two little perfect bundles of love our my family dogs. I mean how can you resist that teddy bear face? *heart eyes emoji* (Top picture: Peyton, Bottom picture: Razzle Dazzle)

The Shichon (nicknamed the 'Teddy Bear' dog) is a mixed breed between Bichon Frise and the Shih Tzu. They are a smaller, family friendly breed who will give all their love and affection to the ones who love them back (and the ones who feed them, this breed can be a bit gluttonous so watch their food intake!). They are also what is called a 'designer dog' being half and half of two pure breeds, but they do come in all types of color combinations. These dogs are very active and playful but also love an evening or afternoon snoozing on your lap. They are extremely intelligent (fun fact! The breed has been used as circus dogs for centuries, due to their trainability) and are very trainable dogs with positive reinforcement. If you're looking for a moderately tempered, snuggle lover, talented, all around perfect pup then this mixed, hypoallergenic breed is for you!

There are so many other breeds that are hypoallergenic as well so definitely do lots of research on what pup will be the best fit for you and your living environment. You can find all the information above (and more) at http://dogtime.com/ along with all other breeds and their AKC information.