5 Great Things About Working In Custodial At Walt Disney World

It’s time to dispel some misconceptions about my job!
386

Recently I returned to Walt Disney World for a second Disney College Program, this time working in Custodial at Hollywood Studios. I have been on the job for just under a month now, I am learning a lot, and overall am having a great time. However, over the past week or so multiple people have said things to me like, “Why are you in such a good mood?” “You are having too much fun” and “You should tell the kids to be sure to get a good education so they will not end up in that job". This annoys me, because I have plenty of reasons to be in a good mood, have fun, and in general like my job and encourage others to try it out! Here are five of those reasons.

1. Incredible Work Location

Do I really need to clarify this? I work at Disney World. Lots of people have to work long hours to make a living. Not everyone gets to spend those long hours somewhere with constant fun background music, little kids in princess and pirate outfits running around, and Star Wars Stormtroopers parading through the streets. There is always something to make me smile here!

2. Clear, Immediate Results

When I graduated college, what I really wanted was to experience life outside of the classroom for a while, to have a job that let me feel like I was working towards something real and bigger than myself instead of just trying to jump through a specific teacher’s hoops. In Custodial, the impact you have on the world around you could not be clearer. When you are not there, trash piles up super quickly in a theme park. When you are there, getting rid of the spilled popcorn and discarded toilet paper, the resulting clean space is immediately obvious to you, making the work incredibly satisfying. It helps that the park Guests will often thank you for cleaning up!

3. Freedom To Wander

I loved the Attractions job I had in my last Disney College Program, but one thing about it frustrated me. If a Guest came up to me and asked for help finding a different attraction, I could not take them there. I had to stay in my assigned location in the Festival of the Lion King theatre. A Custodial Cast Member, however, has a lot more freedom to move around the park and help Guests out. I am a kind of unofficial tour guide! This freedom also allows me to get a better view of some of the events and performances around the park.

4. A Great Workout

I will not lie to you: the work is at times difficult. A Custodial Cast Member is on their feet all day, in sun and rain, lifting bags of trash, cleaning bathrooms, walking back and forth along the street, etc. But wow, am I going to be in great shape by the end of my program! I can already tell that my legs are stronger than they were in May.

5. The People

Like I said before, I am learning a lot in this job, and that means asking a lot of questions. Everyone around me, though, coworkers and management alike, is as supportive and encouraging as can be! I love working and chatting with them as much as I enjoy interacting with the Guests. Every day I meet people from all walks of life all over the world, brought together by their love of Disney. I sing “Happy Birthday” to hundreds of children and bring smiles to thousands of faces with a smile and wave of my own. What’s not to love about that?