My 5 Favorite Spaces In Tempe, AZ

My 5 Favorite Spaces In Tempe, AZ

Because they're so much more than just a space

25
My 5 Favorite Spaces In Tempe, AZ
https://vsco.co/

As my freshman year at ASU dwindles down, every spot around campus seems to have a new, nostalgic spirit. It's so weird how quickly your perspective of a space can shift from just a material reality - trees and buildings and fixed objects - to the home of dearest memories. Whether it's a state, city, campus, or even just a room, I think there is something magical about the transformation of our interpretations of certain spaces. It's been a combination of those things that fabricate the admiration I have for the place I've called home for the past year; Tempe, Arizona.

Although I'd barely visited the place before August, over the past 9 months I've gotten to know this place. I've met its quirks and downfalls, its natural beauties, alleyways, and shortcuts. I've danced on its turf and cried on its benches. I've biked its streets and swam in its waters, I've learned where to avoid, where to indulge myself, and where no one else will be.

I think I've always had a tendency to romanticize and connect emotions to spaces. I'm not sure why that is, but I think its something that only presents me with more joy in life. It lets me find pleasure in tiny things and beauty in the most obscure.

It's been a short 9 months here at ASU, but in that time its become a material reality that I've grown pretty fond. Tempe to me, will now forever entail ties to so many relationships, memories, emotions, and experiences. So here's my list of those spaces, which have somehow become much more than spaces for me...

1. Kingdom

Right off campus on Rural, Kingdom Bike & Lifestyle opened in January 2017. They make the coolest bikes I've ever seen and even customize them however the customer wants. But Kingdom is so much more than just a bike shop - they sell coffee and kombucha tea, T-shirts that are bound to compliment anyone's "aesthetic", and is a perfect, cozy place to study. But none of these things are the reason that Kingdom was the very first place I thought of when trying to think of my favorite places in Tempe. My admiration for Kingdom goes far deeper than their comfy chairs or cold brew. The company works to facilitate a safe, welcoming, fun space for people to come together in community. And overall, its through their Faith in God that they accomplish this and serve their community. Their passion to serve manifests through their events like weekly social bike rides, open mic nights, daily bible studies, and every single interaction they have with customers. From the very first time I walked in, the people were personable and genuinely interested in me. They weren't just trying to take my money or spread the word about their company - they wanted to create relationships. All most every time I leave the place, I seem to be inspired, uplifted, or empowered. Whether its from my conversation with the manager, a fellow studier, or maybe its just the atmosphere its self. Whatever the case, in the past few months Kingdom has found its place in my heart...and I don't think it's moving for a while.

2. Tempe Town Lake Bridge

Tempe Town Lake is the first thing you see when you enter Tempe, like the gate outside of a home. Although the lake its self is a fun place to paddle board or picnic, I've found a silly amount of charm for the structures above it. The three bridges that cover the lake take on a new spirit when the sun goes down - one I've grown quite fond of. I've crossed the bridge screaming throwbacks with my friends, arriving home after a long trip, en route deep conversations, and with my curls flowing in the wind as I ride my bike. Maybe it's the memories I've made crossing the bridge that gives it its nostalgic, movie-like essence. Whatever the case, when I pass the bridge joyful, childlike feelings come over me, making this tangible place one of my favorites in the area.

(The first picture is of the main bridge that cars drive over, the second is the only bike-able or walk-able bridge that changes colors at night).

3. "A" Mountain

Being the only mountain in walkable distance of campus, "A" mountain is pretty infamous around Tempe. Although I can't claim that its the most vigorous, earthly hike, it still grants some pretty amazing views. Right of Mill ave, the mountain - technically named Tempe Butte - gets its nickname from the giant yellow "A" on the side. My love for this space sparked from many sunrises and sunsets from the top. You can see the entire ASU campus, Mill Ave, Tempe Town Lake, the airport, and in the distance, rows of mountain.

When the sun goes down, the mountains change shades and you can watch the city light up as the sun goes down - it's a pretty amazing experience. I've been all alone before class, with groups of people, and I'm also pretty known for taking visitors to share the view. "A" mountain takes a lot of heat (literally and metaphorically) for being touristy and a commercialized version of a mountain, but I can't deny that its one of my favorite places in Tempe.

4. ASU Art Museum

My first semester, I passed the ASU Art Museums so many times, constantly telling myself I needed to check it out but never finding the time to do it. It's on Mill Ave and 10th street, just behind Gammage Auditorium. After being here a whole semester, in January I finally decided to check it out. I remember the first time I went there I was baffled my how cool the space was. You enter through a big staircase and the whole museum is underground. The first time, I went alone and spent an hour getting lost in the world of art. They change exhibits every season and there are more than ten of them in the space. After that, I've come back to the art museum multiple times. Not only does it hold some awing masterpieces, but the experience of walking through its halls, examining the beauty that others created, and getting lost in my own thoughts is an escape from the world. When I feel stressed and need to be alone or distracted, I go here.

5. The Graduate Hotel

Right down the street from the ASU campus, the Graduate Hotel incorporates a a cafe, bar, and a lobby with a 70s vibe. Its hard to not be intrigued as you walk into the place, with its eclectic yet simple decor and quirky touches. The rooms, unique from any hotel I've been in before, have a vintage, college theme. Again, maybe it is because this is where my mom stayed when she came to visit, but for some reason, every time I am in or pass the hotel, something in me bubbles with fondness.

(Picture from the front lobby)