5 Easy Ways To Meditate Without Feeling Weird About It

There are other ways besides just sitting crisscross on the floor with your eyes closed.

109
Getty Images

These days, people have extremely short attention spans and wandering minds. We can’t focus, we can’t sit still—we can barely even read a whole article without stopping halfway. It’s hard for us to find the time to relax and destress. As it constantly occupies our minds, stress and anxiety roots deep and takes a toll on our lives when we don’t find time to let our brains rest. And I don’t just mean sleep. The unconscious mind will take care of itself, but it’s the conscious mind that needs to be eased and revitalized with our help.

People underestimate the power of meditation. Mainly, because they don’t have the time, patience or courage to attempt it. It’s difficult to place ourselves in a peaceful atmosphere and allow our entire mind and body to focus. It’s also difficult to take meditation seriously, which people also often struggle with. No, we don’t have to get out our spiritual music and hippie rugs while sitting crisscross with our arms up and eyes closed saying “hummmmmm.” There are so many other ways to meditate and ease the mind without this stereotypical stigma that many feel weird about. Here are 5 quick and easy ways to enjoy yourself while meditating your mind, body and soul all at the same time.

1. Yoga

This is an obvious one. Yoga is known as a “spiritual and ascetic discipline” that includes breath control, specific physical postures and meditation. The whole point is to destress the body and build both mental and physical strength. It’s important to be active but sometimes the stress of physical activity can cause anxiety. Yoga is a perfect wind-down to every physical activity that will easily slow down your heartrate while putting your mind and body at peace. The great thing about yoga is, you are still exercising body strength while meditating at the same time.

2. Sing

While dancing is an excellent art form that both exercises the body and relieves stress, singing is a better way to meditate. The hardest part about singing as meditation is finding a quiet, comfortable place. But if you are stressed and need a quick escape then sit in a quiet area with nobody else around and belt out your inner Mariah Carey power-voice. You can let it out best without holding back when nobody is around, so find yourself some solitude and sing!

3. Stretch

If you can’t bear to do Yoga, start with simple stretching. Loosen your limbs and practice flexibility with some basic floor stretches. This is a good way to concentrate on meditating so you don’t get bored while doing it. Sit on the ground, close your eyes and stretch out your body. Start slow and gradually add a little more each day. Your body will feel eased in no time.

4. Soak

In an article written in the Huffington Post, it discusses a book written by Wallace J. Nichols, a marine biologist who explains scientific studies proving water is soothing. The author explains the theory of having a “blue mind” when soaking in the water—“a mild meditative state characterized by calm, peacefulness, unity and a sense of general happiness and satisfaction with life in the moment.” The article mentions how finding tranquility in water includes giving the brain a rest, inducing a meditative state, inspiring compassion and advancing creativity in the mind. Exercising in the water is also a great way to build mental and physical strength and is one of the most body-strengthening ways to perform physical activity.

5. Color therapy

Although it may sound juvenile, adult coloring books have become very popular in recent years and beneficial to mental health. An article in Medical Daily discusses how the childhood pastime of coloring books can be used as a form of therapy—further proving the healing power of art. Studies show it has been used as therapy to relieve stress and anxiety, as well as assist patients coping with diseases and health issues like cancer, dementia, PTSD and depression. Even in your adult life, after the innocence of childhood fades, you can still color as a form of meditate while relieving stress through artistic expression.

All in all—just relax.