5 Do's And Don'ts Of Winter Break

5 Do's And Don'ts Of Winter Break

Don't: discuss politics.

16
5 Do's And Don'ts Of Winter Break
Megan Christmas

1. Do: meet up with old friends.

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t want to avoid all of your hometown people. Everyone has those friends back home that they can’t wait to see and tell them everything that’s happened since the last time they saw each other. Especially if you all go to different schools. Not to mention in different states. I know I get excited to hear all the gossip from UF, FSU, ‘Bama, and UTK. So get excited to see all your friends, these moments start to become far and few between.

Don’t: hook-up with them.

We all have that one person from back home who seems to always keep our attention. BUT NOT THIS YEAR! You have got to free yourself from that ongoing holiday break hook-up. Trust me, it’s not worth it and potentially really damaging. It’s not good to linger in the past. Go ahead and move on, and if you can, try bringing someone home with you for a change.

2. Do: get an NYE kiss

A kiss at midnight on NYE is actually pretty amazing. I got my first one ever at the beginning of this year and let me tell ya, I was missing out. But of course, it was with my boyfriend. Even if you don’t have a significant other, it is a right of passage to get as many as possible. It doesn’t have to be anything serious. Just a quick pop on the lips and cheers with champagne. Trust me, it’s something you don’t want to miss out on.

Don’t: leave with the rando

Yes, you may have just kissed some random person at the club you’re at, but that does not entitle them to take you home. That could possibly be a recipe for disaster. First of all, you just met. What more do you know besides their name? Second, it’s probably almost 2 a.m. and let me tell you, ain’t nothing open past then except for legs and the E.R. Instead, wait ‘til tomorrow. Third, most horror stories come from these kinds of things. Most predators seek their prey this time of year. They know the college students are home. So do yourself a favor and just don’t do it.

3. Do: spend time with family

The whole reason you’re home is for the holidays. So take some time and spend a day or two with the ones who love you most. You know your mom has missed you every day since you left for college freshman year. And your dad, he misses you too, just in a more manly way. This is especially important if you didn’t go home for Thanksgiving, like me. So while you’re there, bake Christmas goodies with your mom and help her wrap presents. Watch football with your dad and have a beer or two with him while he grills. These are the moments you’ll miss the most when they’re gone.

Don’t: discuss politics

Not everyone is going to have the same opinion, not even your family, and that’s OK. Just because you’re related, doesn’t mean your political views have to be the same. But if they are, kudos to you. Trust me, the ham you’re digging into is way more important than how Trump will “MAGA”. And personally, I’ll be with mashed potatoes and gravy this season, rather than with Her. You know you’re already going to be tackled with those infamous “Are you dating anybody?” and “How were your grades this semester?” questions, so why push it? Save yourself from even more embarrassment.

4. Do: have a GNO

One of the best parts about being home is getting to see your people. So in honor of that, you should have a GNO. Grab your girls and hit the club, have a few drinks and dance the night away. Or, scoop your best dudes and throw back some brews while you watch Thursday Night Football and inevitably hit on your busty bartender. Whatever it is you choose to do, to do it with your closest comrades and make it a night you’ll remember and maybe even throw in some nostalgia.

Don’t: stray from the pack

You’re out with your friends whom you don’t see often, why would you wanna leave them? Stick with your group and make it about y’all. There’s no need to add any extra elements to the equation. Like I said earlier, ladies, this is when the predators are really on the prowl. The drama isn’t worth it and why would you wanna hook-up with a low-life stuck back home anyways? You’re too good for that. And that goes for the guys as well.

5. Do: buy gifts for your family

Whatever holiday you’re celebrating this season, make sure to buy gifts for your family. It’s important that you know what your 13-year-old brother wants and you go out and buy it for him. There’s way more value in it that way, whether he admits it or not. And it’s a plus to see him when he opens it Christmas morning and asks, “How’d you know?!” with a face more lit than the tree itself. He’s missed you while you’re gone, so it wouldn’t hurt to show him that you miss him too and he hasn’t been forgotten.

Don’t: just give them money

Getting to know what your family actually wants for the holiday season is important. Not only does it show that you love them, but that you miss them just as much, even if you don’t actually admit it. It’s not as fun or meaningful when you hand your sibling a $50 and tell them to get whatever they want. You should know what they want; you’re their sibling. Not only that, but you’re probably their role model and hero, too. Besides, you’re in college; can you actually afford to throw some extra cash that you really don’t have lying around?