5 Books Every College Girl Needs to Read

5 Books Every College Girl Needs To Read

Make sure to add these books to your reading list!

90
flickr.com

College can be stressful at times, so it's nice to take a moment to unwind after a long day of work. Instead of binge-watching the same show on Netflix for the 10th time, try grabbing one of these books for a much-needed moment of relaxation.

'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)' by Mindy Kaling

In her first coming-of-age story, Mindy Kaling recounts the events of her early years, from serious stories like the death of her mother to funnier moments like her breakthrough moment playing Ben Affleck in a surprisingly popular Off-Broadway show about him and Matt Damon's friendship. The essays are laugh out loud hilarious at times in a way that only Kaling could manage to convey through the paper medium. This is a must-read.

'Why Not Me?' by Mindy Kaling

"Why Not Me?" is the follow-up to Kaling's first collection of essays and details her coming-of-age in Hollywood. Kaling is ever-relatable as she muses on everything from losing friends to her obsession with Bradley Cooper. With her pen, Kaling is able to translate her distinct comedic voice right onto the page and tell her stories in a refreshingly honest manner. Although enjoying an increasing amount of fame, Mindy is still Mindy. The essays are truly empowering and at the end, you'll find yourself asking, why not me?

'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House' by Alyssa Mastromonaco

Alyssa Mastromonaco was the youngest woman to ever serve as the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations. In this novel, she recounts her humble beginnings as a grocery store clerk in high school to her career as a paralegal in New York City and eventually, her path to the White House as Director of Scheduling and Advance for the Obama campaign. Mastromonaco's story is an inspiring example of how everyone ends up exactly where they are meant to be, even if their introduction to their future career involved jumping on top of Newt Gingrich's car. This book includes a lot of life lessons outside of politics, while still including some funny moments (including an episode with a toilet in the Vatican).

'You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life' by Jen Sincero

Sincero is a renowned life-coach known for her humorous and blunt delivery. The book offers everything from easy exercises to inspiring stories to help you get your life together. It is a relatable self-help book without the holier-than-thou preaching that can make how-to books so hard to read. This book is targeted towards young women struggling with self-doubt and the pressures that come with life in the digital age.

'Becoming' by Michelle Obama

Former First Lady Michelle Obama's memoir is a must-read for all young women. Obama is an inspiration in her own right, a graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Law School, she originally served as a mentor to her husband. The memoir covers everything from her childhood in the South Side of Chicago to her time in the White House. Her story is much bigger than politics, and it serves as an example of how anyone can overcome adversity to become successful if they work hard and believe in themselves.