The Story Of How My Mom Became My Best Friend

Thank you for everything

37
Photo by Jon Flobrant on Unsplash

In highschool my mom and I fought constantly. I was always doing the complete opposite of anything she said, and she would always do her best to discipline me. How rude, right? Anyway, we didn't always see eye-to-eye and honestly we often couldn't stay in the same room for long without fighting about something.

Once my senior year rolled around, we were too busy with extra curricular activities to give us anything to fight about. When I went to college was when I realized I took advantage of her always being there to help me. I remember the first time I got sick in college I had to list out all my symptoms for her to tell me what kind of medicine I needed to get.

I don't know why, but freshman year anytime I would be walking to class or from my parking garage to the dorms I would always call her. I would do this out of boredom, but I think this sparked actual conversation for us to catch up with each other. We would often just talk about random things that in the moment didn't matter, but over time we would talk about the big important stuff.

I now talk to my mom every day and I tell her everything significant in my life. Instead of fighting over the big stuff, she will give me her opinion on what I should do and let me make the final decision myself. She is the person I go to for advice, the person I rant to, and the person I care about most in my life.

She shows me what is worth getting upset about and helps me realize when I am being irrational about things. So thank you mom for everything you do for me.