I met Ben Platt and it changed my life

I Met Ben Platt And It Changed My Life

Yes, the guy from Pitch Perfect.

247
I Met Ben Platt And It Changed My Life
Holly Malnati

This past Friday, I had the opportunity of a lifetime. I was able to meet my idol and overall inspiration as a vocalist. While I know many people know Ben Platt as the awkward Benji from Pitch Perfect, he is so much more than that. Having been in two major Broadway productions and having written his first album, he is really putting himself out there in the music industry and displaying his talent to the world.

Ben just started off his tour in Chicago and I am so honored to have seen his first live performance, performing his own music. You could see how humble he was right off the bat. He made mention to how he didn't know If people would show up or not and I'll have you know, it was a sold-out show. I think for most people they don't understand how a celebrity can't see their worth but I think every celebrity starts somewhere and starting something new for anyone is tough and a vulnerable process.

Ben Platt had two openers, Ben Abraham and Wrabel. They were both extremely talented and definitely set the bar for ben. However, I wasn't worried because I've seen many live videos of Ben so I knew he would be amazing. which he was. I was unable to see Ben when he starred in Dear Evan Hansen so I think that's why my Mom went all out on this experience. I was told two days before that I would be meeting him and I was speechless. It's kind of a funny story because my Mom made me promise I would speak when I met him because in fourth grade, I met Justin Bieber and I couldn't get any words out. I think she was afraid I would do the same thing ten years later.

Overall, the concert was amazing. He told stories about himself and made himself so personable. He shared the story of how he came out on his 8th grade trip to Israel and you could hear the audience go wild as he has a huge LBGTQA+ following. It was really amazing to see him so happy and clearly proud of the album he has put out. He also shared some covers that included songs from Stevie Wonder. I truly love when celebrities do covers because you get to hear them sing songs that they just sing around the house and when they're in the shower and it gives you something that you couldn't just listen to on Spotify or Apple music. Although it was really crazy to hear him live and see how similar he actually sounds compared to on his album. I think many people agree that really shows an artist's true talent.

After the concert, I was able to attend a Q&A where he answered fans questions that were picked out of a bucket. My question wasn't picked but that's okay because I was genuinely shaking the whole time he was in front of me so I'm not sure if I would've gotten the words out so that's good.

After that, everyone was able to get in line to do the meet and greet and take a picture with Ben. My Mom let me go first and I told him it was really nice to meet him and that's about it. You can tell how nervous I was in all the pictures because I'm bright red and my smile is beaming, the face of a starstruck teenager. I had it all planned out in my head how I was going to ask him to sing with me but I froze and they were really keeping the line moving. However, when my Mom came up to meet him she told him everything I didn't say. She explained how idolized him and how I sing all the time. His response to that is something I will never forget. When my Mom told him that I sing all the time, he turned to meet and said: "never stop". I think my heart about hit the floor and I sort of blacked out but I somehow got the words out and responded: "I won't". this really meant a lot to me because I truly think he is the most talented vocalist I have ever heard in my life and for him to tell me to continue singing is just indescribable. I have never wanted to pursue music but when he said that I felt like I should become a music major or something. Even though that probably won't happen, he lit a fire in me. to know that I have that backing of my favorite musician really meant a lot and made me feel like I could do anything. I know he may never read this but I want you to know Ben, I never will stop singing. You are an inspiration to me.