4 Ways Being A Special Olympics Volunteer Will Make Your Life Better

This is an experience you'll never regret.

101
Kelly Klein

Growing up with an aunt who I absolutely adored, and who also had special needs, I never really felt any discomfort interacting with people with disabilities. However, I often find this isn't the case for people who haven't ever spent much time around anyone with special needs. Even people with the best intentions and kindest hearts may still struggle to feel comfortable interacting with someone with disabilities - simply because it's something they're unaccustomed to. I'd love to be able to change this. In a perfect world, people wouldn't feel anxious about encountering someone with disabilities. Instead of staring or avoiding contact, they'd say hello or make conversation instead.

For the past few years, I've been a volunteer assistant coach for Special Olympics, an organization that exists in communities across the world and offers a multitude of sports and games for athletes with disabilities. This is an experience that I will never regret, and I highly recommend it to anyone willing to try something so amazing. I guarantee the people you meet in Special Olympics will change how you see the world.

These are just a few of the ways that volunteering with Special Olympics will make your life infinitely better.

1. You'll meet the best people.

Special Olympics' athletes are some of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of calling my friends. I personally knew many of them from before I started volunteering because they work with my aunt, but spending many nights talking with them between rounds of bocce has created bonds that I know I'll never lose. They still write me letters, call often and are overwhelmed with joy when I show up at events to surprise them.

2. You'll become more patient and understanding.

Keep this in mind: I'm not saying spending a few hours a week with dozens of disabled adults will be totally easy! Yes, it will be completely rewarding, but it may also get frustrating from time to time. Organizing groups, keeping players focused and resolving disputes can all be challenging parts of being a volunteer. In the end, this experience will make you a more patient person. You'll most likely spend a lot of time listening to stories while you should be giving instructions, but you'll be better off later on if you take the time to listen to what any of these athletes has to say.

3. You'll laugh and smile so much more.

How can you not be happy when your team goes to a tournament and wins their big game? How can you not laugh when your athletes/friends tell you goofy stories from their weekend or a joke they learned at work? How can you not smile when you know that you're making their day better while they're making your day better all at once? Even on my worst days, an hour spent at Special Olympics has never failed to make me happy.

4. You'll be inspired.

Throughout my years volunteering with Special Olympics, I have learned more than I ever thought possible. These incredible people have shown me the true strength of perseverance over obstacles. Despite the things that most deem "disabilities," they put more effort and passion into every part of their lives than anyone else I know. Through them, I've learned the real meaning of "never give up."

They've shown me that having physical or intellectual "differences" doesn't mean that we have nothing in common. Like anyone, they love competition, being a part of a team and recognition for hard work. They are unflinchingly supportive of the people in their lives, and never let you forget how much you mean to them.

Most importantly, because of the wonderful people I've met in Special Olympics, I now understand the power of happiness more than ever before. Joy can move mountains, and these remarkable people know that better than anyone.