4 Underrated Shows You Need To Be Binge-Watching

For when you've made it through the mainstream Netflix classics.

66
Series Bloggen

Summer is about two things: adventure and relaxation. I am a firm believer that there needs to be a good balance of both of these things. I, like probably every other millennial, love watching Netflix to relax. The possibilities are endless - movies, TV shows, comedy specials. There's so much Netflix to be watched, and so little time. While I've watched most of the popular shows on Netflix, "Friends," "One Tree Hill," "13 Reasons Why," "Pretty Little Liars," "Gilmore Girls," I've watched a few less-known shows that really had me hooked. Here is a list of my favorite underrated TV shows on Netflix.

1. "Parenthood"

I, quite honestly, don't know how everybody isn't watching this show. There's something in it for any and everybody. The show revolves around a large family living in Berkley, California; there's a grandma and grandpa, their 4 kids and their spouses, and then the grandkids. The show is a drama, but it has so many brilliant little moments that make you laugh out loud. So many important and relevant topics are touched on throughout the six seasons, from biraciality, to autism, to cancer, to homosexuality, to unemployment, to divorce, to adoption, to non-traditional family structures, to post traumatic stress disorder in army veterans, and so much more. It's brilliant that this show can be so realistic and cover so many difficult issues, yet still be heart-warming, and hilarious. Once you watch a few episodes, there is no doubt that you'll want to be a part of the Braverman family.

Famous Actors/Actresses To Look For:

Sarah Braverman is played by Lauren Graham who is Lorelai Gilmore in "Gilmore Girls"

Amber Holt is played by Mae Whitman who is Mary Elizabeth in "The Perks of Being A Wallflower"

Drew Holt is played by Miles Heizer who is Alex Standall in "13 Reasons Why"

2. "Dear White People"

This show is amazing and essential for everybody to watch. If you want to be aware of the struggles that Black people encounter on a day to day basis in the United States, particularly at universities that are PWI's (primarily White institutions), you need to watch this show. It gives non-Black people (speaking as a non-Black person myself) a little idea of the struggle from an inside perspective. This show is funny, fast-paced, and extremely entertaining, but more importantly, it wakes people up. It depicts an all-too-real example of police brutality that brought me to tears. I am a firm believer that everybody, regardless of race, gender, religion, or sexual-orientation, should be a supporter of the "Black Lives Matter" movement. This show teaches the millennial generation just how important and valid this movement is. Also, the show's first season only consists of ten episodes, each 30 minutes long, so this is a pretty short watch.

Famous Actors/Actresses To Look For:

Colandrea "Coco" Conners is played by Antoinette Robertson who is Lynly Hayes in "The Hart of Dixie"

Thane Lockwood is played by Brant Daugherty who is Noel Kahn in "Pretty Little Liars"

3. "Merlí"

While the show is filmed in Catalan, there are audio options in Spanish and English, so the language barrier shouldn't be a problem. Merlí is a new philosophy teacher at a high school, which his son happens to attend. The series focuses on on the life lessons that are taught to the students by this teacher outside of the necessary coursework. There are several scandals and struggles that are presented with interesting solutions due to Merlí's unique philosophy on life. Merlí also works with an agoraphobic student at the student's home, working to get the him outside of his house and back into the world again. This teen drama also showcases a lot of Barcelona's beautiful sights along the way.

Famous Actors/Actresses To Look For:

Most of the actors in the series are relatively new to the acting world.

4. "About A Boy"

This sit-com is about an off-beat mother and son who move into a house next-door to a typical bachelor who hates kids, commitment, and all things of that nature. The show depicts the evolution of the bachelor as he befriends the mother and son next door and grows particularly close to the young son. The little boy faces several challenges simply for being different, something that his parents both fostered and celebrated in his household. The show is heart-warmingly sweet and witty, and it celebrates the existence of the underdog.

Famous Actors/Actresses To Look For:

Fiona is played by Minnie Driver who gave a voice to Jane in "Tarzan," and is Skylar in "Goodwill Hunting"

Will is played by David Walton who is Mike in "Bad Moms," and Mark The DJ in the 2010 remake of "Burlesque"

Dr. Samantha Lake is played by Adrianne Palicki who is Tyra Collette in "Friday Night Lights," and Jaye in "G.I. Joe: Retaliation"