4 Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Your Summer

Plan now to have the best summer ever.

9
Jens Johnsson via Pexels

I know spring has just begun, but summer is just around the corner. It’s already April, which means next month school will be out and summer will be here. Summer is the season of fun and relaxation. What’s not so fun is missing out on awesome events and activities because you didn’t plan summer activities in advance. Don't make that mistake. Instead, take my advice and start planning your summer now. Here are 4 tips for getting the most out of your summer:

1. Start saving now

Saving money here and there is always a good idea, but with summer being the season of vacations, it is wise to put away extra for unexpected trips and events that’ll cost you. Adjust your budget now by cutting back on petty expenses like eating out, unnecessary Amazon finds or shopping at the mall every weekend. You’ll thank yourself when you have money to spare for a last minute weekend trip with friends.

2. Look into summer events and concerts

It really sucks to find out about a cool event too late, especially when tickets are sold out and there's no chance of being able to make it. If you’re a concert-goer, then browse Ticketmaster sooner than later to make sure you don’t miss a show near you this summer. Speaking of concerts, it’s a good idea to subscribe to your favorite bands’ mailing lists. This way you’ll always be in the know about shows, new releases, etc. If you’re planning on going out of town this summer, booking hotels months in advance allows you to get cheaper rates as well as the option of canceling your reservation without penalty. Whether you plan on flying somewhere far away or traveling a couple hours out of town, making reservations early is one less thing you’ll have to worry about when your trip gets closer. Also, researching your destination months in advance allows you to plan around inconveniences like weather conditions that could affect your activities. For example, if you wanted to kayak on a particular river this summer but didn’t pick a date to go until August, the river would probably be too dry to have an enjoyable float. My point is, don’t let ill planning ruin your opportunity to make the most out of your summer.

3. Make a reasonable and fun to-do list

Summers often slip away from us because they go by so fast. This is usually because the days blend in with each other. A typical summer day for me consists of waking up at noon, swimming, hanging out with friends, getting home late, then doing it all over again the next day. This is part of what makes summer fun, but it can also smear memories. Make your summer count by outlining a to-do list of things you want to accomplish this summer. The list could be as small or ambitious as you want. Your list could include things such as watching a sunrise, attending a community movie, having breakfast with your mom, planting a garden, reading a certain amount of books, etc.

4. Work hard now so you can relax later

The best advice I can give you is work as hard as you can now so you don’t have a lot of things on your plate once the summer starts. For those of us in school, this is pretty easy since the majority of our work ends in May. If your daily work doesn’t halt for the summer, at least get any projects you’ve been avoiding done at the beginning of summer, don't let it haunt you for three months. For me, the summer is the perfect time to work on things that you really enjoy, like leisure material. I read assigned texts all year long without much time to read books purely for enjoyment, so summer is when I try to spend time working on projects or reading books that really interest me.

I hope these tips help you plan for a wonderful summer. Planning is a great skill to have, but don’t let yourself stick too close to a schedule. Always leave room for spontaneity– that’s what makes life fun.