4 Reasons Why You Should Write For Odyssey

In March of 2016, I had the great opportunity to join Odyssey, a nationwide online publication website that has recently been launched at the Metropolitan State University of Denver. If you are a college student who has the opportunity to join, I highly encourage you to do so. As a contributor, I have found it to be very useful to me, and I feel that I should give four reasons as to why it would be useful to you as well.

1. You Get a Deeper Perspective On Life

By being a part of Odyssey team, you have a chance to read other people's articles and become more open minded toward contemporary subjects such as views on human rights, governmental actions, environmental issues, etc. In a sense, the website can serve as a news feed through the eyes of other columnists who give you a chance to see the world in a different way and encourage you to think and act in ways in which you may find beneficial.

2.You Can Share Your Interests

What interests you? Everyone's got their own hobbies and in Odyssey, you get the chance to offer insight as to what you like to do and why you like doing it. Is there an instrument you like to play? Is there a food recipe that you like to make? Do you have a favorite video game that you'd like to review? How about a film review? Is there a reason why you think Chinese food is better than American food? What do you like most about being an Entomologist? Why do you like to go skydiving? What do you like to do to blow off steam when you're taking a break from studying (other than sleeping)? Why do you think "Better Call Saul" is a better T.V show than "Breaking Bad"? What are your favorite plants to garden? Why do you like skiing more than snowboarding?

3.Your Writing Will Improve

By having the chance to write every week, columnist have the potential to improve on their writing skills and therefore be more successful in life by being more proficient in many careers that require writing such as in business, journalism, psychology, teaching, marketing, television, the list goes on, and by being in Odyssey you have the chance to continue practicing your writing skills so that you don't fall out of the habit. This is also a great way to practice writing for those who wish to become writers of novels, screenplays, poetry, etc. Even if you don't have the slightest idea as to what your future career will be, Odyssey is a great experience to put on your resume for whatever writing career that may be.

4.You Can Share What You Feel Is Important

Everyone has their own perspective of the world and by being a part of Odyssey, you get to share what you feel like other people should know and in doing so help make a difference in the world. Why do you think voting is something everyone should do? Does shopping at Wal-Mart hurt small businesses? What are ways in which you can reduce the world's pollution? How can people find more time to spend with their pets? Why is my job more important than people think? By sharing your own insights you can give other people a chance to think differently and help change the world in which we live.

Thanks to an MSU student's email prompt encouraging students to join Odyssey, I have been given the opportunity to expand my writing horizons and push myself to be an even better writer. The writing community behind Odyssey has been much more encouraging than I expected. If you wish to further your writing skills and have your voice heard then I highly encourage you to be a member of Odyssey!

Follow the link below to apply! :)
http://theodysseyonline.com/apply