9 Reasons To Join Odyssey

9 Reasons To Join Odyssey

You may not have heard, but this stuff is awesome.

6
9 Reasons To Join Odyssey

Before I ever came to college, I knew I wanted to be a writer one day. I knew I wanted to communicate with others the way I felt I had been communicated with my entire life -- through things like literature, poetry and newspaper articles.

When I got to college, I found myself completely swept up in all of the things there are to do at college. I played a sport, I joined a sorority and I found myself with a class load that sent my head spinning.

But there was still something missing. I wanted to be just a little more involved. I loved my friends and sisters and teammates, but I needed to meet people who could appreciate the side of me that wasn't getting enough exercise: the creative side.

So my junior year, I joined Odyssey, and I haven't looked back since. But it's more than just writing articles and being obnoxious about them on Facebook.

Being part of the Odyssey team has limitless numbers of benefits, and these are just a few of the many.

1. I get published every single week.

Especially for someone who wants to be a writer in the long-term, getting your writing out on a weekly basis is huge. And when it comes time to send your work to potential employers, you can just send them to your writer profile. Easy stuff!

2. Speaking of resumes...

Being a member of a completely student-run and led organization is huge, especially with Odyssey. It's something you participate in every week, and in the long-term, that adds up to a lot of work experience.

3. It's all up to you.

When you write for Odyssey, you can write literally whatever you want. You have an Editor-in-Chief, but they're really just there to edit and make sure you get something turned in. Whatever you're passionate about, you can write! Pick a topic, get your fingers flying across the keyboard, and you've got yourself an article.

4. It's not a huge time commitment.

Every week, you have to turn in a 500-word article. That's not very much. And once again, the article can be about literally anything.

5. You meet the most amazing people.

When you're on a team of writers, photographers and content creators, those amazing creative souls become your family. Before you know it, you'll be studying together and going out together on the weekends.

6. You improve your writing skills.

Whether or not you're thinking about it, writing 500 words a week will improve your writing. Even more, having workshops or meetings with your EIC about changes and errors will help you learn a lot about your own writing, and about writing in general.

7. You expand your views and mindset.

In a group full of creative people, you're bound to find some things that you don't agree on. With the Odyssey team, you're given an opportunity to talk about these things and disagree in a respectful way. You can listen to other people make their cases, make your own and come to conclusions about the world around you.

8. You could totally go viral.

Remember the concept of the Dadbod? Of course you do. That started with one Odyssey writer with a great idea and the ability to create. This could be you. Your idea could be the next Dadbod.

9. You could make some money.

As if the rest of these things aren't enough, you could make over $1,000 a month! The rewards system is based on shares and page views, so it's all up to you and how well you share your content!

To join your local Odyssey team, click here and become part of a rapidly expanding company where you can find your own niche and your own family.