4 Effective Study Breaks For Finals Week

Treat yo' self by managing your stress.
78

Finals week is one to two weeks away for many college students, and stress levels are starting to be higher than they ever have been. Throughout the semester, we have all been both looking forward to and dreading the inevitable finals week mayhem. As a junior in college, the finals week stress usually catches me by surprise, even though I know it is coming sometimes I just do not want to acknowledge that it is coming soon. Anyways, here are study breaks I have found to be calming, helpful and relaxing too!

1. Walk or run

Exercise releases endorphins and also is a great natural stress reliever, so if you are feeling up for some exercise and need a stress exercise is for you!

2. Yoga

If you are feeling up for some exercise, but then not as stressful or time consuming as a run or a walk. Plus, deep breathing exercises are easily the best way to calm down.

3. Eat right and hydrate

When finals week comes, it is hard for a lot of us to remember to eat right and on time, so make sure you keep yourself and your brain energized with healthy foods. Snacks are also always welcome, and I have heard peppermint candy canes help you remember information. Hydration is key to surviving finals week too, so bring your water bottle with you.

4. Nap

Sleep is important and a power nap can often help your brain recover from a long night of studying the night before. A nap should not be too long though, the time limit is usually 25-30min as recommended, but I would go with whatever time you see fit for you. Sometimes you will take a nap and wake up three hours later and feel even more tired, that is not what we want.

I would try to stay away from social media as much as possible because next thing you know it has been an hour instead of 10 minutes on Facebook. Though if you do need to keep in touch, social media can be a good quick break if it is less than 15 minutes or so.

As finals week approaches, these are only a few of many study break ideas to keep in mind during those stressful times. Please remember to take care of yourself too. GPA is NOT forever, and no matter what grade you receive, you are the best you that you can be!