4 Books That Are A Must Read In College

4 Books That Are A Must Read In College

Because everyone should read these at least once

10
4 Books That Are A Must Read In College
Melville House

Lets be honest here, it's hard to find people that really read anymore. I am one of the proud few who still uses their library card on a regular basis, and who's bookshelf is overflowing. So in honor of the people who really can be called 'book nerds' here are 4 books that are a MUST to read in college.

1. Pride and Prejudice (By Jane Austen, Published in 1813)

A true classic, this story follows Elizabeth Bennet, a young girl who (if we're being completely honest) can't seem to find her place. Women's jobs during this time were to find a good husband, and Elizabeth makes this hard being witty, outspoken, and (honestly) downright sassy. The book mainly surrounds Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy as their mutual 'hate' turns into mutual feelings, while also following her other 4 sisters as they all attempt to find husbands of their own (some successfully, some not so much). A wonderful classic romance that shows an interesting perspective on life from a young woman in 19th Century England.

You can buy it here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Jane-Austen...

2. Fireflies in December (By Jennifer Erin Valent)

A book almost guaranteed to bring a tear to your eye, it follows the life of a young girl by the name of Jessilyn Lassiter and her family during the summer of 1932. During a midnight storm lightning strikes the house of Jessilyn's best friend's family, the Teauges, an African American family that works on the farm, and after we learn that only her friend (Gemma Teague) survived, it's the decision of Mr. And Mrs. Lassiter to bring Gemma into their home like she was their own. But what should mean security for Ms. Gemma only stirs up trouble, as the local Ku Klux Klan members decide that they should take matters into their own hands. A coming of age story in the worst way, it teaches two young girls what kind of hatred really lives in the world.

You can buy it here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fireflies-December-Jennifer...

3. The Fault in Our Stars (By John Green)

A heart-wrenching story that follows teenager Hazel, through her battle with thyroid cancer. As she attends a teen cancer support group she meets a boy named Gus, who is unlike anyone she's met before and who happened to have his leg taken (and replaced with a prosthetic) by osteosarcoma but managed to become cancer free. After switching novels, the two form a close bond through the mutual frustration at the ending of An Imperial Affliction. After tracking down Van Houten, Gus asks him several questions about the novel's ending, but he replies back that he can only give these answers in person. Soon after Augustus surprises Hazel with tickets to Amsterdam so they can ask Van Houten these questions in person. After the two fly to Amsterdam they finally confess their feelings for each other before going to meet Van Houten, who turns out to be a mean drunk. Soon after Gus reveals to Hazel that his health isn't as good as he's led her to believe. A touching story of two teens with cancer, who learn how to support and love one another through each other's battles, it's shows the true meaning of love between two souls.

You can buy it here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fault-Our-Stars-John-Green/...

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (By J.K. Rowling)

A magical story of the Boy Who Lived, a boy with two deceased parents, who was put on his Aunt & Uncles door step when they died. Neglected and unloved by them Harry Potter is more of a servant than a family member to them, who they have forced to live under their stairs. Before his eleventh birthday Harry becomes excited when he sees a letter addressed to him, but after his Uncle takes it from him to see who it's from he becomes worried and rips the letter up before Harry can read it which only causes more more letters to come. Becoming frantic his Uncle actually takes the family to a small island to hide, but on his elevenths birthday Rubeus Hagrid finds him and tells him what his Uncle has been trying desperately to hide: That he's a wizard and has been accepted into a wizarding school. A book that gives us a lesson on what true friendship is, and what it's like to have friends that you can trust when a greater evil is at play.

You can buy it here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Ston...