4 Anime Recommendations to Watch

4 Addicting Anime Shows for the Casual Watcher

Anyone can get into these shows.

247

I wouldn't really call myself an all-out anime fan. But once I watch a couple of episodes of an anime, I can get addicted. I usually find it hard to get to the point of obsessively watching like I do with other TV shows. But here are four that had me completely addicted. These were chosen specifically because I think that even the most casual anime watchers like me can get into these shows.

1. "My Hero Academia"

Collider

This is the type of anime that anyone of any age can really love. The story takes place in a version of our world where almost the entire population has some sort of power - or as they call it, quirk. In this world, "Hero" is a true profession.

This anime follows the story of emotional teen Midoriya, who is one of the rare quirk-less people, yet still aspires to be a hero, just like his idol, a hero called All Might. In a stunning turn of events, Midoriya is gifted with a quirk and makes it into UA High School, which is a school designed specifically to train young, would-be superheroes.

But it's not all fun and games from here. Midoriya needs to figure out how to use his new power without destroying his body, while simultaneously keeping up in his classes and battling the occasional villain.

There are tons of really fun and likable characters, great action sequences, and lots of great world-building. Overall, it's an amazing anime.

Sub or Dub: Definitely subtitles for this one. The dub makes all the characters that are supposed to be teenagers sound like they are middle-aged men.

​2. "School Live"

Nefarious Reviews

I love this anime because it features an all-female cast of badass, well-rounded characters, which is rare in most anime since they really love sexualizing female characters.

I can't reveal too much because the idea of the show is for the plot twist at the end of the first episode to be a huge shock. But, I will say that it's about four girls that are a part of the School Living Club, in which the girls live out their lives at school and partake in all the school's activities. At least, this is the plot of the first episode. After that, the show takes a darker turn.

And after the first episode, you would expect for the show to be more predictable since the genre that it ends up being is one that's been done a lot (especially in Western media). However, this show is really the gift that keeps on giving, as it is filled with shocking plot twists and heart-wrenching scenes all the way to the end.

Also, this show is only one season long, so if you want a quick watch, this is definitely one to check out!

Sub or Dub: I've never seen the dub, so I'm going to say that you should do the sub just in case.

3. "Baccano!"

The Cinnamon Roll

The plot of this anime is really hard to describe. To put it simply, it involves alchemy, gangsters, mystery, and immortality. The story spans many time periods, but the majority of the story is set in the 1920s and in the United States. It's also told from a variety of perspectives, from many really hilarious characters.

It's really unpredictable and at times random, which is a big part of its charm.

This one's also only one season long, so it's a quick watch too.

But fair warning, the first episode of Baccano makes absolutely no sense. It's more of a collection of scenes showing audiences what's to come than a full episode. Don't judge the quality of the anime based on the first episode.

Sub or Dub: Dub. The English voices are so entertaining and really add to the comedy of the show!

4. "Yuri On Ice"

The Geekiary

I love me a canon gay ship. I've almost never seen an obviously gay couple in an anime. Mostly, the relationship is only implied. But in Yuri On Ice, the couple is made more obvious and undeniable, which I really appreciate. However, this is not a romance anime. It's a sports anime!

This anime is about Yuri, who a down-on-his-luck Japanese figure skater who dreams of winning the Figure Skating Grand Prix. He eventually gets taken under the wing of Victor, a Russian figure skater who has won the Grand Prix three times.

To win, Yuri must compete against the world's best figure skaters, including his newfound rival, a young Russian skater also called Yuri.

The figure skating parts are beautifully animated and almost just as riveting as if you were watching actual figure skating. And the relationship between Victor and Yuri unfolds in the most adorable way.

Sub or Dub: Sub. I've never seen the dub, so I'm biased, but the Japanese voice actors are so good that it would feel wrong listening to other people. So sub.