37 Signs You Grew Up In Mount Pleasant, Michigan

What it's really like living in the middle of the mitten.

3368

Every person's hometown always has its array of fun quirks and ways of life, and mine is no different. Mount Pleasant is a unique town in the center of Michigan, mostly known as the home of Central Michigan University, and the Soaring Eagle Casino. However, Mount Pleasant is unique in the fact that it has a rural, small town feel with some city attractions. For those like me who grew up here, you know the town like the back of your hand, including all of its quirks and charm.

This article is for all of you "townies" (will be explained later) like me, and I hope you get as much of a kick out of it as I did, paired with a bit of nostalgia for the place we called home!

Without further adieu, here are the 37 signs that you grew up in Mount Pleasant:

1. Getting used to people not actually knowing where Mount Pleasant is

And always hearing the lines, "Isn't that where the casino is?", "You mean CMU?", "Why is it called Mount Pleasant if there isn't a mountain there?" *insert eye roll here*

2. Low-key wondering why it is actually called Mount Pleasant

I mean there isn't a mountain there.

3. Discovering the famous "Mt.Pleasant"

Papa's Pumpkin Patch saw the opportunity and ran with it, and if you visit there you have the opportunity to climb to the top of the "Famous Mt. Pleasant"

4. Everybody knows everybody

Especially if your parents are from or went to school in the area, the "townie" bloodlines run strong here.

5. You can't go out in public without seeing at least one person you know

Going incognito in sweatpants without having your hair done to Meijer without being seen is nearly impossible, meaning you must own your bummy look, or attempt to look presentable when going out in public.

6. There is no such thing as sneaking around

Your parents usually knew hat you were up to before you even got home because someone that they knew likely saw you in town on that secret date and called your parents (total fail).

7. If there is a new kid at school, they basically become a celebrity

Everyone has to meet them and see them because it was such an uncommon occurrence.

8. It seems like everyone is somehow related

Again, bloodlines here run deep and you likely went to school with over half of your cousins.

9. You thought dating someone from another school was the coolest thing ever

Usually because it was less likely that they were related to you.

10. Before dating someone, you make sure you do extensive research of their family tree

See number 8, you definitely don't want to find out that you kissed your cousin.

11. Date locations were severely limited

You either went to a restaurant, for a walk around one of our many parks, to a movie, or to one of your homes.

12. You know more about the Amish than most people probably ever will

Rosebush and Blanchard are big Amish communities close by so seeing them in town or seeing a horse and buggy on the road was nothing unusual.

13. You also know quite a bit about Native American culture

The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe is very involved in the community, and loves to share their culture with everyone! You likely had the opportunity to go to a pow-wow and their museums in elementary school.

14. You know why we are called The Oilers

For those who don't, Mount Pleasant was founded by the oil industry and was once home to large oil deposits. Oil workers would come live here as they were drilling for oil in the deposits, and liked it so much they decided to make it home!

15. If you went to Mount Pleasant High School, you are always asked if you are a U of M fan if you leave Mount Pleasant wearing your school colors

Blue and gold day was a nightmare for Michigan State fans like myself due to our lack of clothing in that color, and as I child I decided to dress up as a Mount Pleasant cheerleader for Halloween and was asked if I was a U of M cheerleader instead, much to my dismay. Never again.

16. Popular restaurants are just not a thing here, or they arrive years later than their prime

Before leaving for college, I had never had Chipoltle or Steak and Shake or anything remotely popular in the nation, and the days that our town got an Olive Garden and a Panda Express were like Christmas.

17. You are more likely to choose a "mom and pop shop" over a chain any day

There is nothing better than exploring the cute shops of downtown, or visiting one of our popular hometown restaurants.

18. Rushing to Stan's after a half-day of school to beat the crowds and have lunch with your friends

Stan's was the place to be for lunch, and if you did not get there fast enough you and your friends would never get a table.

19. Unless you traveled to go shopping, all of your clothes likely came from JC Penny or Kohl's

Meaning you likely had the same shirt the person sitting next to you was wearing somewhere in your closet, and it was very possible that you and someone else were almost wearing the same outfit.

20. Knowing all of the back roads by heart to avoid Mission

Mission is the worst, enough said.

21. Avoiding driving on campus like the plague

You also usually wondered just how much trouble you would get in if you "accidentally" hit a college student.

22. The dreaded moment of being stuck behind a tractor or combine on the road

This always seemed to happen when you were in a hurry or running late, and if you were on a two lane road you were basically doomed.

23. Knowing what weekends to avoid going into town altogether

Locals would avoid town at all costs during times like Move-In Weekend, Welcome Weekend, and Western Weekend because our limited roads were always crammed with crazy and/or drunk drivers.

24. The blessed ease of summer driving in town

No crazy college student drivers, no excess traffic, no problem. You can also pair your peaceful drive with a stop at Doozies for some of the best ice cream of your life.

25. High school football games are a can't-miss event

You also probably own a whole album full of football game selfies with your high school friends.

26. You are fully aware of the rivalry between Sacred Heart and Beal City and have picked a side

It's taken as seriously if not more seriously than the famous University of Michigan vs. Michigan State rivalry

27. High school events and plays or musicals at the high school or The Broadway are A-List events

Whether it's the annual musical at Mount Pleasant High School or a play at The Broadway, you were always sure to be there.

28. Hometown parades, events, and festivals become a family tradition

You would never miss Homecoming, the County Fair, or the Dicken's Christmas Parade.

29. You refer to yourself as a "townie"

A "townie" is a coveted title given to someone who has lived in Mount Pleasant their whole life, and most "townies" come from a long lineage of Mount Pleasant locals.

30. You know that being a "townie" is an automatic symbol of being cool

You were always the go-to person for knowing what the best restaurants and hangout spots were among CMU students.

31. You definitely faked being a CMU student in high school around cute college guys and girls

And they likely never knew because you knew the university so well as a result of living in town your whole life. Either that, or they totally knew you were lying but too nice to call you out. *shrugs*

32. You couldn't wait to turn 18 so you could go to the Wayside

It was basically a coming of age and right of passage event.

33. You have since been to the Wayside more times than you care to admit

Everyone will complain about how "ratchet" and "trashy" the Wayside is, yet you still see them there almost every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

34. Tuesday nights are sacred

One word - Pints.

35. You will always be a Chippewa for life no matter where you go to college

You basically adopt it as your second alma mater.

36. You always think of Mount Pleasant as a big city until you actually go to a big city

To be fair, in comparison to the surrounding towns, Mount Pleasant seems huge, yet once you leave Central Michigan you discover it is quite the opposite.

37. People may always complain and say they will leave this town, yet your heart never will

Anyone who has ever lived in a small town knows that most people always dream of leaving their terrible small town for bigger cities and bigger dreams, yet whenever we come home to visit we know that a piece of our heart will always stay here because it truly is home.