35 Words to Use Instead of the R-Word

35 Words to Use Instead of the R-Word

Spread the Word to End the Word

4887
35 Words to Use Instead of the R-Word
Goins, Writer

The word retarded can mostly be heard in a conversation meaning stupid or something that isn’t good enough. The Oxford Dictionary and multiple other online dictionaries have even stated that the informal use is offensive before giving the definition. It is not a word to put something or someone down, but an intellectual disability. I’m sure people know that this word is offensive, but they continue to use it. They usually use the word to describe something that is dumb or stupid, but by using the word in this way, even if unintentionally, they are insulting people who have mental disabilities. Using this word is harmful and hurtful to many people. If you need more reason to not say this word, check out this website and they’ll give you a few more reasons.

Here are 35 words to use instead of the r-word in any conversation:

1. Dumb

2.Stupid

3. Bad

4. Dull

5. Clown

6. Doofus

7. Dork

8. Jerk

9. Loser

10. Brainless

11. Clueless

12. Dim

13. Foolish

14. Absurd

15. Childish

16. Goofy

17. Sophomoric

18. Immature

19. Pointless

20. Ridiculous

21. Trivial

22. Unreasonable

23. Gullible

24. Hopeless

25. Ignorant

26. Irrational

27. Naïve

28. Useless

29. Buffoon

30. Dork

31. Airhead

32. Senseless

33. Bozo

34. Uninformed

35. Heedless

There are so many more words to use instead, so be thoughtful and not offensive.