33 Signs You're From "The (Wyoming) Valley"

No, it's not in Wyoming. It's in Pennsylvania.

2318

The Wyoming Valley, or as the locals like to say: "The Valley" is located in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Filled with the classic "love to hate it" hometown vibe, the Valley has its unique quirks that are forever imprinted in its residents.

Here are 33 signs you are from the Valley.

1. When out of town meeting new people, you tell them you are from Wilkes-Barre, even if you are actually from a town around Wilkes-Barre.

2. If the person doesn't know where Wilkes-Barre is, you tell them it's near Scranton.

3. Next, you mention The Office.

4. You tolerate people forever saying you are from Scranton, even though that is a decent drive away.

5. You have a loyal connection to local pizza.

6. When you leave the area, the pizza is what you miss the most.

7. Even though there is practically a pizza place every mile, you have your favorite spot.

8. Binge drinking is a common recreational activity.

9. You fail to find it ironic that there is a church and a bar on nearly every block.

10. If you are under 21, you can eat, shop, or watch a movie. That's pretty much it.

11. The Valley is Dunkin' Donuts territory.

12. There are multiple festivals dedicated to a certain food.

13. Church Bazaars are also insanely popular.

14. Those events are highlights of the summer.

15. Driving is a game of "dodge the pothole."

16. You will almost always run into construction.

17. There are so many roads that it's normal to get completely lost.

18. However, you do not get lost because you have been here your whole life.

19. You must complain at least once about how you "hate this place and can't wait to leave" if you are under the age of 25. It's a social norm.

20. If you haven't left by 25, you aren't leaving.

21. You will probably run into someone you know at the Wyoming Valley Mall.

22. More times than not, it is someone you would rather not see.

23. The popular brands that tween/teens wear are American Eagle, Hollister, Wet Seal, Pacsun, or Aeropostale, because that's what there is to choose from.

23. It is not uncommon to have experienced wearing the same shirt as someone else one day in high school.

24. There will be delays in school because it is too cold, but there will be a full day of school during a snowstorm.

25. There are too many schools. There is another school within ten minutes of each school.

26. There are so many schools, that the city of Wilkes-Barre is at war about tearing down some of the three schools in town.

27. Slang. It's "yous guys" not "you guys." We say "heyna" and "ja eat yet? no, d'jew?" (translation: Did you eat yet? No, did you?)

28. Even the locals still don't know if Wilkes-Barre is pronounced "Wilkes-Bear" or "Wilkes-Berry" or "Wilkes-Bar."

29. It can be 90 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next, and you will never be fully prepared for that.

30. "Gunshot or Firework" is a popular guessing game in the summer.

31. Guns and fireworks are both very popular.

32. There is a strong divide of political views, and you are accustomed to rolling your eyes at someone during a conversation because of it.

33. Whether you hate it or love it, The Valley will always be home.