32 Ways to Practice Self-Care in College

Learn to take care of yourself by spending time pampering + doing what you love!

68
Unsplash

*This post was originally shared on EmmaLenhart.com*

Having a positive mindset and a clear mind is super important for setting yourself up for success. It's hard to be hopeful about the future when you hate your current situation. While everything in life may not be in our control, we can control some of it and learn to take care of ourselves. Practicing self-care while still in college is important for managing stress and anxiety in some of the craziest years of our life yet!

Accepting yourself

Growing up, I was a pretty big introvert (and still am.) Because of this, I would get anxious when I had too much on my plate, and needed a lot of "alone time" to feel good every day. Some of my other friends didn't operate the same way and would get frustrated or annoyed when I told them I would be hanging out at home when they were out at dinner/etc. It took me a long time to realize that I wasn't just "lame", but rather wired differently and I needed to recognize that in order to take care of myself.

Ever since realizing that about myself, I try and take time for myself throughout the week. Some of my favorite self-care things to do are taking a nap, online shopping and treating myself to something I've wanted for a long time, or making myself a heaping bowl of ice cream.

I've compiled a list of 32 self-care practices you can try on your own to take some time for yourself this season. What are you doing to take care of (insert your name here?)

What is self-care?

Simply put, self-care is the art of looking after yourself and realizing that you are a human that has needs, whether you want to admit it or not. Self-care is sometimes pushed to the back burner of our lives when we see more pressing situations calling for our attention. Self-care isn't really anything too serious, but rather something that I think should be normalized.

1. Listen to your favorite album on a vinyl record. If you don't have a record player yet, check out this one. It's only $45 and I love mine!
  2. Take a bath and put extra bubble bath in. Don't have a bath tub? Use your favorite body wash in the shower.
  3. Re-watch your favorite episode of a TV show on Netflix. (I love re-watching Broad City or New Girl episodes...hilarious!
  4. YouTube "beginner yoga" videos and try it out on your living room floor.
  5. Call up a friend that you normally don't get to talk to or usually just text. Ask them how they are doing and share stories.
  6. Re-arrange your closet or dresser. Organizing always helps me clear my head and makes my room feel less stressful/cluttered.
  7. Pamper yourself with body cream and give yourself a proper manicure/pedicure.
  8. Search for Pinterest recipes for a DIY at-home facial. My favorite one is here, which helps with oily skin and breakouts!
  9. Light a candle in your room.
  10. Write in a journal about what has been going on in your life lately. I'm not much of a journaler, but I find it helps me take a step back and realize how amazing my life truly is!
  11. Buy yourself flowers! I love seeking out new markets and grocery stores in my neighborhood in search of the prettiest bouquet.
  12. Invite someone to go get coffee with you that you normally wouldn't.
  13. Spray your favorite perfume on the bottom of your shower before you get in. The smell will fill the room!
  14. Strip your bed of all the sheets, pillow cases, and comforters. Wash and dry them with lots of dryer sheets ;)
  15. Go to a museum in your city (or somewhere nearby) by yourself. Allow yourself to spend as much time at one exhibit/piece as you want.
  16. Find a library that currently has that book you've always wanted to read and go pick it up.
  17. Make a healthy smoothie or acai bowl. I love using up my old bananas by blending them with frozen fruits + kale.
  18. Go for a run or hop on a treadmill/elliptical. I love listening to '90s R&B when working out ;)
  19. Create a new playlist of all your favorite songs and load it up onto your phone or Spotify to play when you are on a commute/hanging out at home.
  20. Make a handmade card for someone you love. Pinterest has a ton of great ideas and they don't cost a dime! (Well...besides the stamp.)
  21. Go through your closet for old clothes that you don't wear or use anymore. Research and find somewhere to drop off the clothes to donate.
  22. Read a passage of the Bible that you feel speaks to your current situation. Pray to God about what is on your heart and listen for a response.
  23. Get a massage. These can be expensive but are worth it and a once-in-awhile treat (at least for us college students.)
  24. Deep condition your hair with a mask. Don't want to spend money buying one? My sister swears by using coconut oil on dry hair.
  25. Prepare yourself some comfort food. Macaroni & cheese, pizza, chocolate cake, oh my!
  26. Write down a list of the 20 things and people you are thankful for in your life right now.
  27. Listen to a podcast that interests you. I feel like so many don't use the Podcast app on their iPhones...hello people! It's already downloaded on your phone and a ton of podcasts are free to listen to.
  28. Make yourself breakfast early one morning and enjoy it in bed.
  29. Find an event going on in your city and attend it. Scared to go alone? Invite a friend/family member/co-worker.
  30. Look at old photos with people you love. One of my favorite things to do is watch home movies from when my sister and I were little girls!
  31. Go for a hike or long walk in your area. Breathe in the fresh air and admire the nature around you!
  32. Play with or pet a dog. Don't own one? Try visiting a shelter or even volunteering!

What is your favorite way to practice self-care?

*This post does contain affiliate links.*