31 Normal Things Humans Do That Are Weird When You Really Think About Them

We really are a strange species.

31257

The human species is pretty strange, and we have a ton of day to day activities that are super weird when you really think about them. If aliens ever find us someday, they're going to be dumbfounded by these things.

1. Cars

When we’re driving down the road, we see plenty of cars, but it’s so weird to think about how each person driving each car has a destination and a life and story that we know nothing about. We also just get in these metal machines and travel places all while sitting in a comfortable chair and controlling the weather inside of it.

2. Names

Our parents literally just choose a compilation of sounds that identifies us for the rest of our life.

3. Clapping

Why is slapping our hands together a sign of our utmost approval? Who the heck decided that?

4. Kissing

Why do we think, "I like this person so I’m just going to touch my lips to theirs for a while and just chill like that and maybe lick their tongue with my tongue"? Kissing is seriously the weirdest thing ever. Who decided that touching this specific body part to another person’s specific body part was more romantic than touching elbows or something?

5. Holidays

Why do we choose one specific stretch of time that reoccurs after another longer stretch of time to all gather together and eat food and socialize when we could just do that any other day?

6. New year resolutions

Imagine saying to someone, “Starting July 29th at 3 p.m. I’m going to go to the gym more.” That’s weird right? That’s basically what a new year resolution is. It’s not like anything really changes at midnight on January 1st.

7. Sleeping

We lose consciousness and have weird hallucinations. When we sleep, we lay down on these special cushioned objects that are specifically made for sleeping and for eight hours, we lose complete control of our bodies and basically put a pause on our lives. Then after that’s over, we just go live our lives for a while and act like nothing ever happened and then go into this death-like state all over again. Also who decided that sleeping was a night time activity?

8. Relationships

Friendships and romantic relationships are both so weird. You basically just find another human being and decide you like them better than the majority of other human beings and just do stuff with them that you could be doing by yourself.

9. Houses

If you think about it, houses are literally just walls that separate us from the outside world, so if those walls fell down we’d be sleeping, eating, and doing everything else we do outside. Our next door neighbors really aren’t all that far away from us but it feels like they are just because of a wall. Also, we control the weather in our houses, which is super strange and wizard-like.

10. Bathroom stalls

Literally the only thing separating you from the person in the stall next to you is a wall. Without the little divider things we would all be sitting next to each other while dumping out our waste.

11. Speaking of that, toilets.

They’re weird chairs that have a big hole in them that we dump our waste into. They then take that waste to some undisclosed location that we can’t see and then we never think about it again.

12. The Alphabet

We learn these symbols that have sounds associated with them. Who decided that the letter ‘A’ would have an ‘A’ sound and who chose what ‘A’ would even sound like? We have these symbols made up of different ways to put together lines and we automatically think of a sound that goes with them.

13. Crying

When we get emotional water just starts dripping from our eyes??

14. Balloons

Why is it that filling up plastic sacks with your hot breath is a birthday party decoration?

15. Pregnancy

A HUMAN GROWS INSIDE OF ANOTHER HUMAN AND JUST CHILLS IN THERE FOR NINE MONTHS!

16. Milk

We steal the liquid that goats and cows make specifically to rear their young and act like it’s no big deal and put it in our cereal. It’s also weird that humans lactate too and do the exact same thing, and we think of that milk being exclusively for babies. Why don’t we think of animal milk like that? Since it’s from another species it suddenly isn’t weird for some reason.

17. Getting old

Alright, there’s a lot of crazy stuff with this one. First of all, we pass our death date every year without even knowing it. When we die one day, everything else in the world will still be here and keep going on as it has been, but we won’t be there for it. Also, it’s crazy to think that everyone on earth started out as a baby. Donald Trump was a baby once. Think about that.

18. Pets

We pick an animal out of the millions on earth and decide that we like it. We feed them, give them a place to live, and show them affection even though we can’t communicate with them.

19. Talking

We make weird sounds with our mouth and they have meaning that the other person interprets and responds to with more sounds.

20. Writing and reading

Both of these things are so weird. We just see a bunch of random symbols on a page and somehow it has a meaning.

21. The concept of time

It’s so weird. We basically are just existing all of the time, but we choose to separate everything into years, days, hours, and minutes. Time guides everything that we do, but it is just a human-made concept. Clocks and time are something we completely made up that dictates our entire day to day life.

22. We literally live on a planet.

Sometimes, we forget that we’re on Earth just chilling in space surrounded by other planets. We have no idea what else is out there. We’re all just buddies on a spherical rock hanging in mid air in the middle of nothingness.

23. Funerals

Especially open casket funerals. Not to be morbid, but death happens all the time and is a pretty normal thing, but when someone dies, we have a huge ceremony where we put them in a thousand dollar box and bury them.

24. Music

It’s noise with rhythms and patterns in it that we find pleasurable to listen to.

25. Beauty

How are certain facial features beautiful? Everyone’s faces are just different ways to arrange eyes, noses, mouths, etc. Who decided that having a larger nose, a breathing appendage, is not flattering or that certain color eyes, which are just balls in our face that we use to send messages to our brains about our surroundings, are prettier than other eye colors?

26. Walking

When we walk, there’s a certain way to do it. We put one foot in front of the other and swing our arms back and forth in a kind of robotic way. If you don’t swing your arms while walking you look super weird for some reason.

27. High heel shoes

We stand on this mini platform on a stick and somehow we look fancier?

28. Words

Why is a dog called a dog? Why is a fork called a fork?

29. Birthday candles

We put a certain number of wax sticks in a cake to signify how many years, a human-made concept, the person has lived. Then we set the wax sticks on fire and blow them out only to remove them and eat the cake.

30. Names for hair colors.

Why is it that yellowish gold hair is blonde, brown hair is brunette, and clearly orange hair is red? The only natural hair color names that make sense are black and gray.

31. Colors

What if we all saw colors in a different way and don’t know it? The world could look completely different to everyone else. What you see as blue, somebody else could see as red, but we’ll never know because their blue is always red and your blue is always blue so it all seems normal.