30 Ways To Improve Your Mental Health

30 Ways To Improve Your Mental Health

Inspired by Stranger Things actress Shannon Purser

13
30 Ways To Improve Your Mental Health
Twitter

On January 15, 2017, Shannon Purser tweeted a string of body positive messages - things that are commonly found on the actress's timeline. I admire Shannon Purser for her body positivity as well as her advocacy for mental health transparency. These two messages converged in a discussion about women's magazines with the following tweet:

"Like, my goodness!! What if magazine articles read "30 ways to improve your mental health" and not "How to Lose 30 lbs in 30 days"

Knowing that this sort of article Purser imagined won't come from any women's magazine any time soon, I decided to take matters into my own hands and bring this article to life. I, like Shannon Purser, struggle with body positivity, as well as finding ways to combat my own mental health issues. So, inspired by the Stranger Things star's words, here are 30 ways you can improve your mental health:

1. Take a bath.

I recommend bath bombs or bath salts. Eucalyptus mint is super relaxing and smells amazing.

2. Write something.

Buy a journal in a print you love. Get one or two specialty pens dedicated to journaling and find something to write about. Whether it's a recap of your day, a work of fiction, or even just a short to-do list for the next day, writing can be grounding.

3. FaceTime your mom.

Talking to friends and family members can be soothing and relaxing. Plus, if you FaceTime a family member, they could show you your dog, which is a bonus.

4. Take 30 minutes a day just for yourself.

Whether you go for a walk, read a book, meditate, or watch some TV, taking just 30 minutes to do what you want to do can help you recenter and decompress.

5. Treat yourself to a pedicure or massage.

If you have some money to spend, go out and find something to help you relax. Massages and pedicures are a good place to start.

6. Go to bed early.

I know, I know. Preaching to the choir. But honestly, getting enough sleep is crucial to keeping on top of your health.

7. Find a hobby you love.

Take up drawing, running, gardening, cooking, anything that you enjoy that can give you a break from the day and help you find some release.

8. Ask for help when you need it.

This is my biggest struggle. If you have too much on your plate, ask someone to help you. Chances are, someone will be willing to help.

9. Say no.

This is hard, I know. But saying no when you need to say no is so liberating.

10. Say yes.

I know I just told you to say no. But saying yes when you want to can have just as much impact on your mental health. Say yes to a midnight movie on a Tuesday, just because you can.

11. Window shop.

Walk past your favorite shops, or look online at things you like.

12. De-clutter.

Start small - get rid of 5 things you never use. Sell them, throw them away, donate them. From there, you can go bigger and de-clutter your whole living space.

13. Make yourself a relaxing playlist.

Spotify has some great relaxing music. Make your own playlist, or follow an existing one. Listen to it before bed, when you shower, or any time you need to unwind.

14. When things get too overwhelming, pick one thing to do that day and do it, no matter how long it takes.

Even if that one thing is "take a shower."

15. Drink more water.

Drink a big glass of water when you wake up in the morning. Keep a water bottle handy throughout the day. Staying hydrated can boost your mood.

16. Watch your favorite movie.

Even if it's for the 10,000th time.

17. Eat your vitamins.

Make dinner that has vegetables and protein in it. Stay away from empty carbs and sugar. It doesn't have to be every night, but aim for at least once a week.

18. Put your blanket in the dryer for 20 minutes after work or class so it's warm when you snuggle in on the couch.

Or, buy an electric blanket. They're so comfortable.

19. Make your bed.

I am the worst at this. But even if the rest of your room is trashed, having a made-up bed makes the room feel put together.

20. Invest in a coloring book.

Find a cheap one from the dollar tree or order a more complicated one on Amazon. Coloring can be extremely relaxing.

21. Talk.

Talk to a person. Talk to your dog. Talk to yourself in an empty room or in your car. Air out what's bothering you.

22. Write down assignments and tasks.

Get a planner or leave sticky notes for yourself. If you write them down, you're more likely to get them done.

23. Set out your clothes the night before.

Even if it's just laying out a hoodie and some yoga pants, laying out your clothes the night before can help your morning run more smoothly.

24. Treat yourself to dessert.

Pick your favorite. Buy it, or make it. Enjoy eating it.

25. Go out with your friends.

See a movie, go out for coffee, go to a concert, anything. Take pictures.

26. Be present when you're with company.

Leave your phone in your pocket and spend time with the three dimensional people in front of you.

27. Replace "I'm sorry" with "Thank you."

Instead of saying "Sorry I messed up," say "Thank you for being patient for me."

28. Find a lotion or essential oil scent that keeps you calm. Keep them on hand at all times.

Lavender and eucalyptus mint are both extremely calming, relaxing scents.

29. Make an evening routine for yourself to help you unwind.

Maybe take a shower, read, have a cup of hot tea, and climb into bed.

30. Be kind to yourself.

You're doing the best you can.