30 Red Dirt Breakup Songs

30 Red Dirt Breakup Songs

30 Red Dirt Country songs to get you through your next breakup

7772
30 Red Dirt Breakup Songs

If one topic exists on earth everyone relates to, it's breakups. It doesn't matter if you're from Oklahoma, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, or South America, we were all there before. Now, this is where you ask yourself, "What good comes out of breakups?" Well (other than the obvious things like more space or whatever else is normal), you also get what may be God's greatest gift to the healing process - the breakup song.

In this part of the world, we're all about this thing called Red Dirt. (Some people call it a music genre, others call it a lifestyle, but that's neither here nor there. However, for our purposes today, we'll call it a genre.) As a whole, country music revolves around telling a story, but Red Dirt Country, at its core, discusses what's real and relatable. That quality makes for some amazing songs, and the breakup songs are hands down some of the best out there.

1. Lonely Lubbock Lights - Aaron Watson

Here is a song for everyone who ever felt like they had to choose between doing what they love and the person they love. (Warning: This song hits home hard.)

"I was ready to give up the road as I turned onto her street, but the silhouette there in her window was of someone who once looked like me. I'd placed a price on her heart, but someone else collected the bounty. Now, this lost soul don't know where to start. I think I'm lost somewhere in Hale County."

2. This Time Around - Randy Rogers Band or Cross Canadian Ragweed

This song is upbeat and empowering. It makes a perfect ringtone, as well. (So you know when not to answer the phone.) With its high-octane fiddle and baritone, this high energy song is perfect for your "screw you" playlist.

"I'm gonna break these chains around my broken heart. You could've had it once, but you tore it all apart. I'm gonna throw your lyin' eyes over my left shoulder. Not gonna let you wear your crown this time around."

3. Plan B - Keith Anderson

Keith Anderson is more well-known for his writing in Nashville, but he is also a solid act himself. "Plan B" is exactly what you think it is... It's a song about what happens when "Plan A" moved on and you haven't. It's a very relatable song if you ever found yourself in that spot.

"Well, I gotta be strong, I gotta be tough. Gotta believe that I'm man enough to chalk it all up to, 'it never was meant to be'."

4. El Cerrito Place - Charlie Robison

This song is far from what you expect from the man known as "Good Times" Charlie. This song is a lot about the one who left with no warning and no signs it was coming. From an emotional standpoint, it truly hits home, and the video for it is extremely well done.

"I think I'll go back to the city, back to El Cerrito Place. That's the last time that I saw that pretty smile upon your face."

5. Amnesia - Josh Abbott Band

This one is particularly hard to listen because it deals with those familiar feelings just wanting to forget an entire relationship. The song is about Josh's recent split with his wife, and if you get the chance to see the video, you actually see him choke up a few times.

"If I had amnesia, I wouldn't know how much I need ya, and I wouldn't have to see ya every night when I turn out the lights and close my eyes."

6. Mexican Sky - Cross Canadian Ragweed

Cross Candian recorded this song on a live album, and it has some incredible guitar licks. The song deals with the reality of running someone off and then having to live with it.

"And I don't care how far you roam; just as long as you come back home with those words of iron, forged by the fire, in the heart of a lonely man."

7. Medina Daydreaming - Trent Willmon

Trent Willmon is most known for his songs about love and drinking, but this one hits home for anyone who remembers a young love. Talking about that sweetheart you lost touch with, for whatever reason, and sometimes still think about when you look back through a yearbook.

"Ten years have gone by. We've gone on with our lives, but I can't get it out of my head. I should stop reminiscing, but I catch myself drifting. Medina daydreamin' again."

8. Crazy Eddie's Last Hurrah - Reckless Kelly

For anyone who ever wanted payback on an ex, Reckless Kelly took it to another level with this one. This song is a high energy sing along, and if you ever go to a Reckless Kelly show, the entire crowd belts this out when they play it. (Which only proves how dysfunctional we all really are.)

"And I drove to her house and parked on the lawn. She's right. I always was a crazy one. Well, her boyfriend was sure nice to me. He said, 'Calm down. Would you like a drink?'"

9. Who I Want To Be - No Justice

The 'Little Band That Could' from Stillwater, OK hit a home-run on this song, and I'm a huge fan of Steve Rice's voice. Be sure to give this one a listen. We all relate.

"I want to run out to the edge of town, scream your name for hours out loud. Turn this world upside down to find you. I want to build myself a time machine to go back and change everything to see you here with me. That’s the closest I’ve ever been to who I want to be."

10. Resurrection - Wade Bowen or Bleu Edmondson

This is one of those songs about doing what you have to do to get yourself back where you need to be.

"I woke with dawn washing over Memphis. Seeing through the eyes of a newborn child. I know you always hated Elvis, so I think I might just stay here for awhile."

11. Demons - The Departed

Talk about a great song! (This became my anthem of sorts...) It has a bluesy feel with some funky guitar - give this one a listen, too.

"Eyes open up to the same old ceilin'. Mind makes the heart feel the same old feelin'. Arms start missin' you once again. I can feel the sin start creepin' in."

12. Too Good To Call - Rich O'Toole

Rich is kind of our boy. Darren and I closed the Wormy Dog with Rich on several occasions. Rich came up with a great song about that ex who thinks they are too good for you.

"Were you really too good to call? Did really give a f**k at all? Sittin' there makin' me feel all alone, you did it again. We all know you ain't in love with your new boyfriend. Yeah, whatever the hell his name is. Sittin' there lyin' to all your friends says it all. You were really too good to call."

13. Nobody's Fool - Wade Bowen

Wade apparently just come out of a really controlling relationship, and we all can relate to that. We all know that feeling you get when you finally manage to move on and how empowering it feels to know you will be fine without whoever you left behind.

"Nobody's fool anymore. I do just fine out on my own. You're so cruel. It's much easier now that I am alone."

14. Wear My Ring - Bart Crow

This is an upbeat sing-along song about a failed engagement.

"Yeah, I waste my time, and I waste my money on a broken dream. 'Cause you wouldn't wear my ring. Baby, give me back my ring."

15. All Of The Sudden - Josh Abbott Band

Here is a song about all of the changes you must get used to when you break up with somebody.

"All of a sudden, I can’t call you baby. All of a sudden, our address ain’t the same. All of a sudden, we ain’t lovin'. All of a sudden, everything’s changed."

16. Nowhere Fast - Casey Donahew Band

This one's about realizing you're better off without your ex. It's about that breath of fresh air, the freedom, moving on, and knowing you're better off without 'em.

"Now, I won't miss the late night cryin', your accusations, my denying. If you don't trust me, just say you don't. 'Cause you say you hate me, you say 'I'm leavin', I'm so tired of this not believin', that I love you is only words."

17. Don't Fade Away - Bleu Edmondson

This is a deep song about not wanting to forget. (This one hits you right in the feels.) It may not be a breakup song, per say, but whichever way you take it, just try not to cry.

"On nights when I feel dead inside, I drink too much, and I take a ride. To find a place on the other side. Where my heart don't have to know. It's a desperate sky, it's a lonesome call."

18. Don't Walk Away - No Justice

Here is another one from the Stillwater boys. It's about wanting your significant other to show you some sign of giving a crap instead of walking away from the argument or relationship.

"Slam the door, yell out loud. Don’t hold it in, let it out. Put me down, put up a fight. I can be wrong, you can be right. Just get mad. Is that too much to ask? But, don’t walk away, walk away like that."

19. Jaded - Rich O'Toole

Here's Rich again writing about a feeling we all felt...

"We were young, and now, we're older. I'm tired of lookin' over my shoulder and seein' you in my rear view."

20. Lonesome - Cory Morrow

Here's one for everyone who knows they should let go of their ex, but they still wait for them to call. You sit there feeling lonely (when you know you shouldn't), but you do it anyway.

"You're my favorite kind of lonesome. There's something that I need when the nights get long. You're the kiss I wanna steal. The love I wanna feel. The only one I wanna cry for."

21. Should've Learned By Now - Roger Creager

For those of us who are just incapable of change or just refuse to learn from our mistakes...

"Looks like I really screwed up again. Should've learned by now that I ain’t never gonna win. I know the reason. I didn’t even ask. I’ve heard it all from relationships past."

22. Having Fun All Wrong - Roger Creager

One of Darren's anthems, "Having Fun All Wrong" is all about trying to have fun to forget a relationship.

"There ain't enough dance halls in Texas to keep my heart and mind occupied. I'm trying it all the time. Yeah, I'm out there every night. My truck has seen some miles to find the words to write this song. To get me back on top where I belong, but I'm not over you yet. I must be having fun all wrong."

23. I Loved You When - Roger Creager

This song is spicy. It's about the whole long distance, on again, off again thing.

"I loved you when we were breakin' up. When the truth was hard to see. I love you now so powerful it still brings me to my knees."

24. Somebody Take Me Home - Randy Rogers Band

This song (later poorly covered by Kenny Chesney...) is about moving on from a broken engagement, and when that feeling of an empty bed gets you every time.

"Same old bedroom floor, same old empty sheets. I hate this haunted bed, so down here's where I sleep. I tried to find a place to hide what you had left. Some things never change. My heart hasn't yet."

25. Damn The Rain - Randy Rogers Band

Rain is one of those things always making your mind wander back to mistakes and heartbreaks.

"Damn the rain for making me remember all the pain of losing everything. I still miss her touch, still love her too much to ever curse her name. So damn the rain."

26. The Bottle - Pat Green

Pat Green is a national treasure. (We finally got to mark "Sing 'Carry On' at a Pat Green show" off of our bucket lists last year.) "The Bottle" is about when all else fails, drink - we're not saying its healthy, but hey, it's something.

"Mister, pour us a drink. Hell, give us the bottle. Set us down in the corner, until we're two sheets gone, and don't tell me no stories about a good-hearted woman. I want to hear 'Your Cheatin' Heart', and cry all night long."

27. Somewhere Down In Texas - Jason Boland & The Stragglers

This Harrah, OK native is now a player on the Texas charts for the better part of 20 years. "Somewhere Down In Texas" is a song about someone who is unable to move on.

"She’s somewhere smiling north of San Antone. I’ve got her number, but I stare at the phone. 'Cause I still want to believe."

28. That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly

Y'all probably think I'm nuts for putting the Lubbock, TX native on this list, but Buddy Holly fathered in the Red Dirt movement, and "That'll Be The Day" was one of the most popular songs in the fifties. (Just sit back and enjoy the guitar riffs.)

"Well, that'll be the day when you say goodbye. Yes, that'll be the day when you make me cry. You say you're gonna leave, you know it's a lie. 'Cause that'll be the day when I die."

29. Wanna Rock and Roll - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Ray Wylie Hubbard hails from Hugo, OK (primarily known for all the circus folk buried in the cemetery...). Nonetheless, Ray Wylie Hubbard is a stellar blues guitarist, and this song is a trashy blues song about heart break and revenge.

"Last night, I went down to the railroad tracks to watch that train roll by. 99 cars screaming into the dark. I heard the lonesome whistle cry."

30. Truckstop - Mama Sweet

(Darren and I went to Mama Sweet shows so long ago, we needed fakes to get in.) "Truckstop" is Mama Sweet's sing-along song. "Truckstop" isn't so much about a breakup as it is about kicking yourself for not going for it to begin with.

In all seriousness, listen to anything Mama Sweet plays. I know could listen to Allan play guitar for hours, and Aron's voice is so stellar, he could sing the nutrition facts on a cereal box, and I wouldn't complain.

"I got a three-day walk to Texas; and it's raining in Paris, France; and I'd grab that girl, and I'd love her, Lord. If I only had the chance. So God, smile on Oklahoma because I can't seem to find a ride. As I walk away from another day with my thumb aimed at the sky."