30 Must See Halloween Movies

30 Must See Halloween Movies

My favorite Halloween themed movies.

75
30 Must See Halloween Movies
Caitlin Keller

Every year during the month of October, I like to watch a different Halloween movie before I go to bed. Obviously after seventeen years, I have developed a very long list of movies that I watch every year. Most of the movies are family and kid friendly, because I am a kid. Maybe you like to watch some of these movies before Halloween. These movies are also really good for binge watching at three in the morning when you can't sleep.

1. Hocus Pocus (PG)

After moving to Salem, Massachusetts, some curious teenagers explore an abandoned house. The teens accidentally free a coven of evil witches played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy (who used to live in the house). Now, with the help of a magical cat, the kids must steal the witches' book of spells to stop them from becoming immortal.

2. Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge (TV-PG)

Two witches from a magical second dimension try to stop a villain who wants to permanently transform trick-or-treaters into their costume characters.

3. Mostly Ghostly (PG)

Aspiring magician Max discovers two lost ghosts haunting the basement of his family's home and agrees to help them find eternal rest. In exchange, Max's newfound friends set out to help him win the heart of Traci, the most popular girl at his school. But, when their magical antics make them the targets of an evil apparition, Phears, the trio must stop his maniacal plan for Halloween.

4. Scary Godmother: Halloween Spooktacular (Not Rated)

Scary Godmother is a whimsical all-ages type of story. The story follows the first trick-or-treating adventure of Hannah. Unhappy to be saddled with Hannah, her cousin (who is babysitting her) makes a plan to frighten her. His plan backfires when Hannah gets help from her Scary Godmother. Scary Godmother takes Hannah to her own realm where she is throwing the best Halloween party for everyone in Frightdom. At the party Hannah is introduced to different kinds of monsters, and learns that not all monsters are mean. Hannah then enlists her new friends to teach her cousin a lesson.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG)

The adventurous Jack Skellington, Halloweentown's beloved pumpkin king, has become bored with the same annual routine of frightening people in the "real world." When Jack accidentally stumbles on Christmastown, he gets a new lease on life. He plots to bring Christmas under his control by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over his role. Jack soon discovers even the best plans can go seriously wrong.

6. Addams Family (PG-13)

When a man claims to be Fester, the missing brother of Gomez Addams, arrives Gomezs' home, the family is thrilled. However, Morticia Addams suspects that the man is a fraud, since he cannot remember details of Fester's life. With the help of a lawyer, Fester manages to get the Addams clan evicted from their home. Gomez realizes the men are trying to obtain the family fortune and must challenge Fester to ensure the Addams' keep their fortune.

7. Corpse Bride (PG)

Victor and Victoria's families have arranged them to be married. Victor can't correctly say his vows, so he becomes nervous about the ceremony. While he's in a forest practicing his vows, a tree branch that resembles a hand drags him to the land of the dead. It belongs to Emily, a women who was murdered after eloping with her love. She now wants to marry Victor. Victor must get back to the land of the living before Victoria marries the villain Barkis Bittern.

8. 1999 Version of Sleepy Hollow (R)

Based on Washington Irving's tale that most people know, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." The headless horseman roams around at night in search of a new head. This thrilling classic has details which vary from the book, but the movie is very close to the book.

9. Gremlins (PG)

A salesman is looking for a special gift for his son. He finds a unique one in a store in Chinatown. The shopkeeper is reluctant to sell him the gift but sells it to him with warnings. 1. Never expose it to bright light. 2. Never expose it to water. Most importantly, never ever feed him after midnight. All of this happens and as a result a gang of gremlins decide to tear up the town on Christmas Eve.

10. Little Monsters (PG)

Brian isn't scared of the monster living under his bed. But, when he gets to know the monster, the pair become friends. During the night, the monster takes his young protegee into the world of the monsters, where they make mischief in the lives of sleeping children. But Brian's opinion of his friend and the freewheeling lifestyle they live changes when Brian discovers that he himself will turn into a monster.

11. Labyrinth (PG)

Sarah is left home alone by her dad and step mother to babysit her little brother. But the baby keeps crying and she, while telling him a story, accidentally conjures a fantasy man, nicknamed the Goblin King, who steals the baby and brings him to his castle in the middle of a labyrinth. Where Sarah has to find the castle to get the baby back. Sarah meets many friends to help her along the way.

12. Casper (PG)

Casper is a kind ghost who peacefully haunts a mansion in Maine. When ghost specialist James Harvey arrives to communicate with Casper and his fellow spirits, he brings along his daughter, Kat. Casper quickly falls in love with Kat, but their new found relationship is complicated not only by his ghostly state, but also by his troublesome uncles and their antics.

13. Coraline (PG)

While exploring her new home, a girl named Coraline discovers a secret door. Which inside, lies an alternate world that closely mirrors her own. In many ways Coraline believes the alternate world is better. She finds joy in her discovery, until her "Other Mother" and the rest of her parallel family try to keep her in their world forever. Coraline must use all her resources and bravery to make it back to her real family and life.

14. Beetlejuice (PG-13)

After Barbara and Adam Maitland die in a car accident, they find themselves stuck haunting their country residence. When the Deetzes and their teen daughter Lydia buy the home, the Maitlands attempt to scare them away. The Maitlands are unsuccessful, and their efforts attract Beetlejuice, a spirit whose "help" quickly becomes a danger for the Maitlands and Lydia.

15. Carrie (2013)

For Carrie White, high school is especially hellish. She's a shy, awkward teen being raised by her religious mom. Carrie is frequently targeted by bullies, but Carrie has a secret talent. Carrie can make things move with her mind. On prom night, a cruel prank pushes her over the edge, and Carrie unleashes her powers on everyone who gets in her way.

16. Monster House (PG)

No adults believe three youths' assertion that a nearby house is a living creature that means them harm. With Halloween approaching, the trio must find a way to destroy the structure before innocent trick-or-treaters their death.

17. Edward Scissorhands (PG-13)

A scientist builds an animated human being named Edward. The scientist dies before he can finish assembling Edward, though. Which leaves the young man with a freakish appearance and has scissor blades for his hands. A loving suburban saleswoman Peg discovers Edward and takes him home. This is where Edward falls for Peg's teen daughter. Despite his kindness and artistic talent, Edward's hands make him an outcast in the community.

18. Mickey's House of Villains (TV-Y7)

Villains from popular Disney movies appear at the House of Mouse with plans to take over.

19. The Goonies (PG)

Two brothers find out they might lose their house and are desperate to find a way to keep the home. They find a treasure map, in their attic, and bring some friends along to find it. They are all out looking for the treasure all while trying to get away from a group of bad guys who also want the treasure.

20. The Haunted Mansion (PG)

A real estate agent Jim Evers is accused of neglecting his son and daughter, so he takes the family on a vacation. Along the way, the family stops off at a mansion that Jim has been asked to sell, only to discover it's haunted. The stern butler Ramsley, Master Gracey and two other servants haunt the mansion. In which they need some help breaking a horrible curse.

21. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PG)

A boy learns on his eleventh birthday that he an orphaned son of two powerful wizards and also has unique magical powers of his own. He is taken from his uncles house to become a student at Hogwarts, an English boarding school for wizards. There, he meets friends who become his allies and help him discover the truth about his parents' mysterious deaths.

22. Ghostbusters (PG)

After a team of scientists lose their positions at a university in New York City, they decide to become "ghostbusters" to wage a high-tech battle with the supernatural. They stumble upon a gateway to another dimension. The doorway will release evil upon the city. The Ghostbusters now have to save New York from utter destruction.

23. Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (PG)

The lovable dog Scooby-Doo joins his pals Shaggy, Velma, Fred and Daphne as they stumble into a seemingly supernatural mystery. Facing off against various monsters that are tormenting their town. The gang must also deal with television journalist Heather Jasper-Howe, who is out to discredit them to the city of Coolsville.

24. It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (NR)

The Peanuts celebrate Halloween, hoping to be visited by the Great Pumpkin.

25. 1986 Version of Little Shop of Horrors (PG-13)

A flower shop assistant Seymour adores his co-worker Audrey. During a total eclipse, he discovers an unusual plant which he names Audrey II. The plant only feeds on human flesh and blood. The growing plant brings in a great deal of business for the previously struggling store. After Seymour feeds Audrey's abusive boyfriend, Orin, to the plant after his accidental death, Seymour must come up with more bodies for the increasingly bloodthirsty plant.

26. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (R)

Evil Judge Turpin lusts for the wife of a London barber and transports him to Australia for a crime he did not commit. Returning 15 years later, he calls himself Sweeney Todd, and the now-mad man vows revenge. Applying his razor to unlucky customers and shuttling the bodies down to Mrs. Lovett, who uses them in her meat-pie shop. Though many fall to his blade, he will not be satisfied until he slits Turpin's throat.

27. Hotel Transylvania (PG)

When monsters want to get away from it all, they go to Count Dracula's Hotel, a lavish resort where they can be themselves without humans around to bother them. On one special weekend, Dracula invites creatures to celebrate the 118th birthday of his daughter, Mavis. However, an unforeseen complication appears when an ordinary human crashes the party and falls in love with Mavis.

28. Twitches (TV-PG)

In the magic realm of Coventry, the twin princess sisters Artemis (Alex) and Apolla (Cameron) are saved by their protectors Illeana and Karsh from the Darkness and brought to another dimension. They are adopted by different families but on their twenty-first birthday, their protectors force them to meet each other, and try to save their world once again.

29. Fun Size (PG-13)

Wren is a high-school senior who can't wait to get away from her family. On Halloween, Wren's mother decides to go out with her boyfriend, leaving Wren to look after little brother Albert. When Wren gets distracted by an invitation to the party of the year, Albert disappears into a sea of trick-or-treaters. Enlisting the aid of her friend, April, Wren sets out on a frantic search for her brother.

30. Ghost (PG-13)

Sam is a banker, Molly is an artist, and the two are madly in love. However, when Sam is murdered by friend and corrupt business partner Carl Bruner over a shady business deal, he is left to roam the earth as a spirit. When Sam learns of Carl's betrayal, he must seek the help of a psychic, who can hear and see him, to set things right and protect Molly from Carl.