3 thoughts I have in Logic

3 thoughts I have in Logic

Why do these thoughts run through my head?

3 thoughts I have in Logic
Quotes gram

For anyone who is taking a Logic or Philosophy course, I'm sure you've had negative thoughts about the class at some point in time, whether it is every day or when the course first started. I'm going to share with you the three thoughts that pop into my head when I sit through my Logic course every Tuesday and Thursday.

1. There is absolutely no way that argument is valid. WHAT?! HOW IS THAT?!

We've all been there where we didn't understand how an argument was valid. For example the argument:

1. All men have beards.

2. Jennifer Lawerence is a man.

3. Therefore, Jennifer Lawerence has a beard.

Although you wouldn't think it would be valid, because first JLaw isn't a man and second she definitely doesn't have a beard, unfortunately, it is valid. It's valid because validity doesn't care if the premises are true or false or even if they make sense. Thank you validity for messing with my head๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜’

2. Why don't the examples the teacher give, ever make sense?

At the beginning of my course, my teacher would always use weird examples to show us how logic works. For example one of his examples was:

1. If triangles are shapes, then birds are evil.

2. Birds are not evil.

3. Therefore, triangles are not shapes.

Now you mean to tell me that a bird's level of evilness is determined on whether or not a triangle is a shape? You're wrong, teacher. Sit down. I'm out.โœŒ๐Ÿป๏ธ

3. PROOFS ARE IN LOGIC TOO?!

Let me paint you a story. While a sophomore in high school, I took geometry like I'm sure many others did. It was fine; then proofs came into it and the world crashed and burned. So imagine my surprise when my professor told me we would be doing proofs. I wanted to flip my desk.

These are just a couple of thoughts I have when I go to logic.