3 Things That Lead To Less Stress

3 Things That Lead To Less Stress

These changes to my lifestyle have made all of the difference!

17
3 Things That Lead To Less Stress
Google

The more I’ve spoken to my friends, classmates and colleagues lately, the more I’ve heard about how stressed everyone is. Different stressors, different lifestyles, but a lot of us have been feeling the same way. I started asking what the heck it was that I doing wrong. Am I incapable of being an adult? Is it because it’s the middle of winter and I’m just in a cold slump? What can I do to change this? Well, I had been doing some serious self-evaluation for a few weeks, examining things I was doing on a routine basis that aren’t the best for my physical or mental health that could contribute to this anxiety. I had some ideas for how to make me de-stress, and have adopted these three lifestyle changes.

1. No cell phone usage immediately when I wake up.

I made this rule that I was not allowed to look at my phone until I had been awake for at least 30 minutes. Instead of immediately reaching and scrolling through Facebook, Instagram or any other social media website, I now put my phone right back down next to my bed. Any text messages I’ve received throughout the night / morning can wait. Honestly, I don’t know why I need to know what my fellow Facebook friends are eating for breakfast, or how proud they are of their morning workouts – I have my own things to worry about and breakfast that needs to be cooked.

2. A cup of tea at the end of the day.

Ending my long days almost always entailed me binge eating a crazy amount of junk food, like a whole box of Cheez-It crackers. Or I preferred drinking a beverage like a cold beer from the fridge or a glass of wine. While watching mindless TV of course. Instead of consuming any of those things I now end my days with a glass of tea. I can’t believe how calm I’ve been feeling afterwards. There’s something about curling up on the couch with my hot cup and a good book or magazine that lets me leave any worries I’ve faced throughout the day in the dust.

3. Yoga in the morning.

With a busy schedule of work and school I was barely finding time to do any sort of physical activity. The third change I made to my daily routine was setting my alarm 30 minutes earlier than normal so I could wake up and do yoga. Yoga in the morning gives a tranquil feeling, keeping me in a calmer mindset throughout the entire day. It makes me feel accomplished before I’ve even left the house. Practicing yoga quiets the mind of its never ending thoughts, and gives me time to breathe. I now start my morning with a more positive attitude that carries me throughout the entire day.

I know for sure that implementing these three things into my life has helped me be able to quiet my mind. I am not letting myself get wrapped up in crazy contemplation and straying away from reality to stress about every little thing possible. Plus, working on de-stressing yourself is better than sitting wondering, “Why do I feel this way?” It’s better to stop wondering and take some action.