10 Things That Will Make You Feel Like a New Person

Your own personal "self help" guide.

2396
fanpop.com

We all have periods we go through where literally nothing goes our way. The barista messes up your morning coffee, you get a flat tire, or you can't seem to keep your bank balance above $5. It always seems like the biggest deal when these type of things happen because they happen all at once. And to top it off, you are probably having problems with relationships too, whether it be family, friends, or a significant other. Trust me, I've been having one of these periods for the past month, and it is really hard to stay positive when my luck keeps going south.

This is the time you need to take care of yourself. When we are surrounded by negative energy and bad luck, that becomes our focus, and it really takes a toll on us as people. You may not even realize that you are doing yourself harm, because it seems ridiculous to make time for yourself when you are dealing with so much. But I have some advice for you: TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! Do things that you like to do or things that will improve your mood and outlook overall. There are a few things that I have been doing to help myself out and bring forth the positive vibes, so I want to share some with you all! Feel free to add in your own, but here is what I found works really well for me.

Go to Bed Early/Wake up Late

We are all very busy people and it's hard to keep a consistent sleep schedule when we are constantly working and socializing. The last thing we think about is sleep. And when we think about sleeping, we just dread waking up for the next stressful day ahead. Try going to bed earlier so those early mornings aren't as rough! You may feel like a weenie for blowing off a night out, but sometimes, you need a break and need a relaxing night in. Also, if you have a day off, turn off that alarm and sleep as long as your body needs. I'm one to wake up early everyday, but it feels good when I don't have to worry about having to up to do something.

Read A Book

Reading isn't a popular thing nowadays, but honestly, there's nothing better than getting lost in a good story. It's like TV for your mind!! And it doesn't have to be a literary classic, it could be a magazine or a comic book! Honestly, it takes you away from reality and negativity on social media, so it's definitely worth a try!

Watch Netflix/Your Favorite TV Show

This counteracts my previous point, but sometimes some mindless television can do us some good. Also, living vicariously through the lives of your favorite characters can help you escape reality.

Go To a Workout Class

It is scientifically proven that exercise can improve your mood and reduce stress! I'm super into working out and trying new fitness classes, and it's really fun and keeps me in shape! I work off all of my stress and I walk out of class feeling great.

Take Yoga

Yoga is so good for the mind, body, and soul. It allows you to block out everything else and just focus on yourself. Breathing and gentle stretching will also make your body feel much better. I find myself feeling like a new person after every class.

Spend Time Outside

Nothing like fresh air to make your problems go away. Take a walk, go on a hike, or sit under a tree. It can be for 5 minutes or 5 hours, just take some time to appreciate the outside world.

Spend Time By Yourself

Naturally, we don't want to be alone. Humans are always looking for human contact, but sometimes other people are our biggest problems. Take a day for yourself, turn your phone off, and avoid all people. It feels so good to not worry about what other people want and focus on what you want.

Spend Time With People You Like

Surround yourself with people you absolutely love to be around! Being around people who genuinely care about you and support you can make a world of a difference. They will be there to listen to all of your problems and distract you from them!

Take A Break From Social Media

I recently deactivated some of my social media accounts and deleted the apps from my phone. This for me has been the most beneficial. Not having to see negative posts or see what other people are doing has reduced my stress so much. I didn't realize how much I was affected by social media until I went without it. Try turning your notifications off or deleting the apps for a day or two. You will be amazed at how refreshed and connected you feel!

Pour Your Energy Into Something Productive

Whether it be sports, dancing, writing, drawing, music, etc. do what you love doing regardless of what is going on in your life. These are the things that keep us sane during our worst times. I cannot tell you how many times I have used dance as a way to cope with my problems and stressors in life. Physical and creative outlets are the perfect way to deal with your problems and it's productive. All the emotions and energy you have been harnessing will be poured into what you are passionate about, and what comes out of that will be something great.

These 10 things have helped me so much in the past month. I feel like a better, more complete person, and have been able to deal with life more effectively. I am not surrounded by negativity all the time, and I'm not a drag to be around (or at least I hope not).

If you are experiencing a rough patch in life, try out some of these or find your own 10 things that make you happy. I guarantee that you will feel like a new person.