3 Things It's OK To Let Go Of

3 Things It's OK To Let Go Of

We as humans tend to make life more difficult than it is.

22
3 Things It's OK To Let Go Of
Wordpress

Listen up. You love yourself, right? You're an amazing person who is going to do great things, and you have a future in front of you that holds so much more than you can imagine. Since you love yourself and you want that bright future, don't you want to take care of yourself the way you should? If there is one great thing you can do for yourself, it's learning what you need to let go of.

You heard it here, first. Let. It. Go.

We as humans tend to make life more difficult than it is and it's time you put a stop to stressing yourself out over things that you do not need to be stressing over. If you're like me, the following three subjects are what you stress about the most and these three subjects are what I have learned to let go of:

That one class.

Classes are finally over and after weeks of hard works and stress, your professors posted your final grades.

How'd ya do? It doesn't matter, go celebrate!

Whether it's your first college summer or your last before graduation, and whether you passed that chemistry class or now realize you should change your major; shake off the past and make this summer the best you've ever had. School stress can be the most detrimental element in life for a student and while it is important to do well, it's also important to stay mentally healthy. Our minds are very challenged in college and sometimes we can let things like a bad grade get to us more than it should. Yeah, maybe you failed that pathology class. You'll have to make up for it, but it is OK. It happened and you can't do anything about it now so stop letting it get to you. The world is only on fire if you set it!

That ex/friend.

Let me start this one with something my mom tells me after every break up I have: "They will always be there."

Again, if you're like me, a break up can feel like the end of even knowing a person. Even friend break ups. It feels like you have to completely sever ties and remove their name from your vocabulary. You're broken up so why would you ever see or speak to that person again, right?

Nope. Wrong!

You'll still see them. And you'll still hear about them, and sometimes you might even talk to them. The fact of the matter is, they are still there. They haven't moved to Mars or taken a job in Europe (unless they actually have...). They are still on this planet and they are still where you left them. Just because you're broken up does not mean they are gone forever. I don't mean this in a "You'll get back together" way but more of a neutral, "You have no idea what will happen in the future," so don't worry about them being gone right now.

Think of your parents or your friend's parents. How many of them are still friends with people they met in college? Or even high school? Did you ever think maybe they weren't friends at one point? Or maybe they even dated and now they are just friends? Relationships change but people are still going to be around so it is OK to let them go right now.

When it comes to that significant other you should let go of, sometimes it is OK to stay in a relationship you know is bad for you. You cannot beat yourself up for not being ready to let something go. It's only going to be right to let them go when you allow yourself to see it. So when the time comes and you feel the tug of a new beginning, take it. You're not giving up. You're not leaving something behind. You're letting go of something that no longer benefits you and if you're putting real effort into something that is no longer benefiting you, it is taking from you.

You get nothing out of watering a dead flower. No new plants will grow and you'll waste your time and energy hoping they will. It is OK to let it go. They will always be there.

That Question: What If?

I know it's hard to stop thinking, "What if?"

"What if they forget?"

"What if I didn't try hard enough?"

"What if it's me who is wrong?"

Trust me, I'm the biggest "what if" question master and it's something I'm learning to stop.

Why do we ask ourselves What if? Why do we allow ourselves to think of some imaginary situation that, most of the time will never, ever happen? Sometimes I think it's because people want to be hopeful. They want to imagine a What If situation that gives them what they want. Other times, it's because people are too worried about what might happen. They think of every possible situation just so they can prepare themselves.

Whether it is to be hopeful or worrisome, we should stop asking ourselves "what if?" and let happen whatever is going to happen. Life is about the random and ridiculous, why would we want to waste the fun of surprise if we've already thought of every turn of events? And why would we imagine the best scenario when we all know things never play out how we plan?

Sometimes it is that simple. It's time for a new beginning. Figure out what you don't need in your life and find something you know you want. For some reason you held onto that relationship even though it was toxic, you stressed about a grade that you can still make up and you worried yourself with questions you couldn't answer. Let go of these things and put your effort into what will make you happy. All of the stress and negativity is for the birds, amirite?