3 Sins College-Aged Christians Are Okay With

(We Obviously Need an Attitude Adjustment)

477
College Party Crew

It seems like Christians do this weird thing. We say we believe one thing and we do the complete opposite. Sound familiar? We love to cherry pick through the Bible. The sinful things we love to do, we ignore. But whatever offends us and whatever we don’t struggle with, we Bible-smack into those around us. It seems like there’s a theme permeating the college scene. So here it is: three Sins College-Aged Christians Are Okay With (Spoiler Alert: We need an attitude adjustment)

1. Drinking

Jesus drank wine, I get it. But if you’re not 21, you’re breaking the law. And let’s be honest with each other, when you drink (assuming you’re of age), are you really doing it responsibly? You have one cocktail? One or two glasses of wine? Do you get behind the wheel and drive? This issue is two-fold: 1) a breach in the law and 2) the overuse (being drunk) or abuse (drinking for the wrong reasons) of alcohol.

Romans 13:1-7 “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.”

Proverbs 20:1 “Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.”

God says don’t do it because: alcohol consumed in large quantities impairs judgement. Being drunk can cause us to say, do and think other sinful things. It can cause harm to us, our relationships and other people. Its implications are ten fold. God didn’t tell us not to be drunk because he’s a party pooper. In fact, we can decide, as Christians, to drink responsibly and with care. God, in his infinite wisdom, knows that our pea brains aren’t very good at anticipating consequences.

2. Drugs

Related to alcohol in the sense that most drugs impair your judgement. Even though Scripture doesn’t mention the abuse of pharmaceutical or illegal drugs as clearly as with alcohol, God was brutally about our bodies. In fact, when Jesus was offered a substance to ease his pain on the cross, he refused it.

1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.”

Romans 12:1 “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.”

God says don’t do it because: your body if you’re a Christian, belongs to him. It’s a gift. Destroying your brain cells, wrecking your organs, and ultimately, your spirit is expressly condemned. Again, Jesus isn’t trying to rain on your parade. He’s trying to tell you that your life and the body in which you live are valuable to Him. Destroying your temple in disobedience can derail your purpose. Buying, selling and/or using drugs isn’t justifiable for believers. Jesus said no to drugs. What’s your excuse?

3. Sex

If Jesus was ambiguous about anything, it was not about sex. I’ve noticed that Christians (college-aged, especially) aren’t really that concerned with guarding their purity. Some push the limits: “How many clothes can come off before we’re sinning?” or “As long as there’s no actual intercourse, it’s fine.” *MASSIVE FACEPALM* Guys, gals…Jesus created sex, therefore sex is awesome. But are we really the generation that blatantly justifies sexual endeavors? Sleeping around is expected of unbelievers…..but professing Christians? I’ve seen rampant premarital sex scandals running all over college campuses. God can redeem any situation; if you’ve already lost your virginity, your life isn’t over. However, if you sleep around with no guilty conscience, no Holy Spirit convicting you to stop…that’s a problem.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 “Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins people commit are outside their bodies, but those who sin sexually sin against their own bodies. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 “It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God.”

God says don't do it because: he has the best in store for you. The whole point of life is to glorify and honor Jesus and to know him fully. Marriage is God’s illustration of love and ultimate intimacy with him. Our relationship with God is a covenant, as is marriage. Sex is another gift, another something we don’t deserve. If we believe that God is ultimate, if we believe that God knows how his own creation functions best….can’t we trust him to bless our sex lives…within the context in which He created it? I think so.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to be a legalistic, anti-fun prude. I fully trust God with my entire being. I don’t ever want to rely on anything else for my happiness or entertainment. That’s why loving Jesus is so incredible. He plugs the holes of our leaking lives so that we are whole. We have to believe that before we can surrender the things that shackle us. I’m calling you out, you twenty-somethings who aren’t giving God control of your life; cut the childish ways and live like you’re saved. Live in freedom.

From Your Site Articles