Sex as a gift from God

Sex And The Church

A letter to fellow believers.

7798
Sex And The Church
Amanda Hayes
  • I know many of you just read that title and thought it was scandalous to see something so “risque” in the same setting as something holy. Well guess what – sex is part of that. Everyone seems to think they are separate, which makes since because most people treat them as though they are complete polar opposites. Shall we think this through?

Who created the Church body? God. Who created the body? Also God. If we know God to be the creator of all things, we cannot leave sex out of that equation. God created sex, people! Praise Him! Like all great things, the world has twisted and perverted it. The world has stained it so badly that even many church congregations see it only as stained and keep quiet about that part of God’s word. Many people know that God told Adam and Eve to “be fruitful and multiply” (Genesis 1:28), but a lot of people overlook the entirety of Song of Solomon. The entire book is dedicated to telling of the love and sex between man and wife. God blessed us with the gift of intimacy, one to be shared between husband and wife. Church if we teach of sex as the blessing that it is, more people will start treating it as such. If we stop viewing sex as this unspeakable act, the temptation would be lessened. With the fall of man, humans naturally desire things they should not have. So if more people speak of it with gladness and praise, and do not hide it in the darkness as if it were vile, fewer people would be drawn to it for the wrong reasons. More people would appreciate it for what it is: a gift from God.

Sex, in the truest and purest state in which it was intended, is not dirty or foul. It was not meant to be used as a tool, a weapon, a defense, or a toy. The euphoria of sex is supposed to give us an insight into heaven. For instance, when a husband and wife consummate their marriage, they become one body. They are no longer two separate entities, but one. Marriage was made to reflect the union between Christ our Lord and the Church, his bride, and the Holy Trinity. When we go to heaven we get to be one with God — praising and worshiping Him for all eternity. Marriage is this beautiful insight into the Holy Trinity, as well as the loving and sacrificial relationship between Jesus and the body, the church. God being great and merciful gives yet another insight — the complete joy of Heaven. Sex allows people a glimpse of Heaven, and feelings on earth are never as great as to the extent they are in Heaven, so imagine Heaven!