The Harsh Reality of American Politics

The Harsh Reality of American Politics

What's truly frightening in America.

45
The Harsh Reality of American Politics
bangordailynews.com

Now that Halloween has passed, this week's article is to point out what's really scary about the world we live in. Vampires, ghouls, zombies, and goblins are spooky, but what's currently seen in society is far more terrifying. The three areas listed in the article cover what Americans are most afraid of. Yes, these are things to be aware of because any of them can happen.

Be aware of your day-to-day life activities that can make you or your loved ones susceptible to the effects of a corrupt government, cyber / domestic terrorism, and identity theft.

1. Government Corruption

A study done in 2015 depicts that 58% of American citizens do not trust their government officials currently in office. Obviously, there is a clear divide in the country of citizens who do not trust the government whatsoever. Politicians are given a bad rep for the crooked scandals being exploited daily, and rightfully so. Numbers of citizens are purchasing firearms due to the growing distrust in the American government.

Nothing exemplifies the clear divide in America better than the 2016 presidential election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Many have expressed that citizens having to choose the lesser of two evils isn't new in American politics. Real issues people want resolved are not being addressed by either candidate such as the wars overseas, the Syrian crisis, TPP, fracking, and the environment. Proof that money has taken precedent over politics is being seen as executive orders are being passed.

Bernie Sanders calls out the Democratic Party and Wall St. officials in their crooked political practices. After numerous Wikileaks, it's public knowledge Sanders was given the unfair advantage in the primary. It's alleged by many that Wall St. is involved in highly illegal activity involving national education, taxes, and political decisions being made. Clinton has every medium eating at the palm of her hand - or is receiving a fat check. Without a doubt, we can guess who is going to be elected.

Pop culture reflects the distrust society has towards its own government. As conspiracy theories grow and are reported on, doubt among American citizens increase. There's fear for the apocalypse and anarchy shown through numerous works in pop culture. Films like "The Purge", "Fahrenheit 451", "The Matrix", and numerous others have themes we all could envision happening in reality - which is kind of true if you think about it!

2. Terrorism / Cyberterrorism

This area is essential to talk about in the age we are living in. The development of technology has grown exponentially, thus making it more difficult to regulate or enforce cyberterrorism laws.

Cyberterrorism came second on the list of things Americans fear the most in 2015. Nearly 45 percent of the participants in the study reported to being afraid of this matter, putting it ahead of physical terrorist attacks. Because this a fairly new area of terrorism, it's highly recommended to watch everything you do on the screen of a desktop or cell phone. Everything you search, download, or post is recorded. The internet is constantly gathering data of every user - again it is pretty uncomfortable to think someone can find out anything they want about an individual.

Domestic terrorism is just as dangerous if not more than cyberterrorism. We are talking about about the destruction of infrastructure (our communities) and biowarfare. The closest thing I can relate biowarfare to is "Resident Evil"! So, potentially the zombie apocalypse, or worse.

I think the fear of the two goes without explaining. The scariest part about terrorism is that it can be committed by anyone, even an American citizen. Between the fear of terrorism and current media coverage in America, there are false stereotypes portrayed concerning numerous ethnicities and religions being targeted as terrorists. Not every individual in the Middle East should be categorized as a terrorist. Just like it shouldn't be assumed Americans are lazy, stupid, or a 'redneck'. Although terrorism is a rational fear to have, treating a group of people based on their ethnicity or religion is irrational.

And furthermore, unconstitutional because America is founded on the freedom of expression.The part about terrorism that's extremely unsettling is that is can be committed by any individual for their own motives. Doesn't matter where you come from or what religion you identify with - anyone could have the potential to be a terrorist.

Anyone breaking laws intending to do harm to communities is considered domestic terrorism and more prevalent than most realize. As Americans we are not educated about terrorism, nor are we prepared for what's to come during an attack. Research has found that most people have impractical expectations of what would happen during a major disaster.

Ann Gordon, Ph.D., and lead researcher on the disaster portion of the survey said,

"The number one excuse given by Americans for not having an emergency kit is that they expect first responders to come to their aid immediately -- this is an unrealistic belief in the wake of a natural disaster."

Ashley Welch, reported in CBS news,

"The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Red Cross suggest that people have enough food, water, prescription medication and other supplies on hand to last at least 72 hours following a disaster, as local officials may not be able to reach everyone immediately."

3. Threat to privacy/Identity Theft

Okay, let's address the elephant in the room.

The NSA!

It's creepy, and for those who don't know what I'm referring to. Let me break it down for you. A dude named Edward Snowden leaked that the FBI has a technique referred to as the "roving-bug" which allows them to remotely activating any cell phone, computer, microphone and listen to literally anything you could be doing or saying.

*Fun Fact* Anyone can research whether a specific person is registered to vote or not!

Another threat to privacy is a threat to your identity. Now with internet and social media growing, data about everyone is being collected. The more someone reveals about them self online the more someone else know about you. Not having strong enough passwords leave you vulnerable to hacks. So every app you have a debit card linked could be at harm of credit card theft. Filling out surveys, YOU WON A FREE IPHONE nonsense asking for your social security number and card info. JUST DON'T DO IT!

For example, one of the most effective ways people can obtain your personal informations is by calling others. This can show up as an unknown number or a random number. These scammers will tell you that "you've won something or received a grant". Then after a long confusing conversation the caller informs you that he/she will need your debit card information. DON'T DO IT! A good friend of mine always tells me, "Assume nothing is free unless the check is in hand!"

This is not the only ways someone can access private information. For more tips to protect yourself from identity theft visit, identitytheft.gov.

The harsh reality is

Americans need to study up on their politics because the wrong people are being elected in office. Sitting around complaining about how shitty the government doesn't make it any better. Like before us, the incoming generations brought about change by speaking out in protest. As our parents and grandparents did, the millennials must recognize what we see is wrong in America and decide to take a stand. That starts by voting for the right candidates locally and nationally, sending letters to elected officials, and never letting others dismiss you as if you're a child. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Research terrorism and the proper precautions to be prepared for anything in an attack on American soil. Have the supplies one would need for 72 hours or longer until help arrives.

Lastly, constantly be aware of personal information on the internet as well as where you're saving financial information and who you give it to.

"Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself" - FDR

One more thing: given thought about Extraterrestrial Life?

SOURCES

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/things-americans-fear...

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/fear-of-fa...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-manning/ove...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omar-alnatour/10-rea...

https://www.rt.com/news/163624-phone-nsa-snowden-r...