3 Reasons "Back to School" In College Is Infinitely More Exciting Than In High School

It's time to go back to school... and we can't wait.

26
ODK fontbonne

Chances are that little spark of “back to school” excitement you experienced when heading back to high school wore off within the first 20 minutes of your first hour class. However, the back to school energies are revving up again for college students and I for one could not be more excited. Sure, college classes are about 200 percent more work than any high school class I ever stepped foot in, but there are countless more reasons to be excited to head back to school on my college campus then I ever had during my high school years. Here are three of the reasons why heading back to school in college is infinitely better than high school.

1. For many college students, back to school means moving out.

It’s not that we won’t miss the fun times we had with our families over the summer, or the comforts of our own rooms at home, but after three months of being moved back in with our families, students and our parents alike are more than ready for move in day to get here. The independence and freedom of living on your own is something that I am excited to start experiencing again when I head back to campus in about a week and I’m eager to visit all the places around campus which I enjoy going to during the school year which I have missed out on all summer.

2. Back to school means seeing all of your college friends who live to far to visit during summer.

Unlike high school, where most everyone in your class lived within driving distance of your school, college students travel from all around the country— and the world— to attend certain schools. This means that many of your college friends live too far away for you to visit during the summer months and thus back to school holds the extra excitement of getting to see friends you haven't seen since you finished finals in May. Additionally, many of the relationships formed during college are ones which are more likely to last your entire life and thus the people you are seeing for the first time in months are people you may value and miss more than friends you made during your high school years.

3. College classes are way more exciting and interesting than the classes you took in high school.

In college, many of the classes you are taking are directly related to the career you want to have for the rest of your life, making them far more exciting to take as well as more meaningful to you than most of the classes you took during high school. I for one was not thrilled to show up to my high school P.E. class at 8 a.m, or to stay after school on Friday for a Chemistry Study group, but I couldn’t be more excited to be taking Journalism on Monday evenings and Literary studies two afternoons a week. Not only are college classes better, but your schedule is far more forgiving and tailored to your desires.

This last week of summer will fly by, no doubt, and although summer was certainly a good time, I’m more than ready to wave good-bye to summer’s long hot days and pack my bags to start another semester of college. So hang in there high school students, although you may be dreading the back to school drudge that high school brings, before long you too will be riding the wave of "back to school" buzz that accompanies the start of a new college year.