3 Probable Consequences Of A Conor McGregor Loss

Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier will conclude their trilogy on July 10, 2021, at UFC 264. Both combatants have had previous victories. McGregor beat Poirier in 2014, and the latter avenged the KO loss at UFC 257 in January 2021, laying the setup for the trilogy's final episode.

124

The battle is a high-stakes event that will influence the path of both fighters' careers in the coming years, particularly for Conor McGregor, who has struggled since returning to the sport from boxing. From a commercial and competitive sense, a McGregor victory at UFC 264 is the most ideal result for everyone connected with the company.

However, there is no knowing what would happen if the reverse occurs, therefore here is a list of three possible outcomes if Conor McGregor loses against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264.

#3 The defeat might pave the way for a McGregor vs. Diaz trilogy.

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz is one of the fiercest and most intense rivalry in current UFC history. In 2016, the fierce adversaries beat each other in two deadly conflicts. However, the trilogy bout never materialized due to the Khabib Nurmagomedov scandal and Conor Mcgregor's recent defeat to Dustin Poirier.

However, avoiding strong contenders in the division would be a sensible decision for the Irishman if he loses at UFC 264. Nate Diaz is one of the sport's greatest stars, and the battle between Diaz and Mcgregor is far from over. It would not be shocking if the UFC follows the trilogy way once again and schedules Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 for 2022.

Dustin Poirier's UFC 257 victory will be validated.

In individual sports, including MMA, a superstar's defeat to a lesser-known opponent is never easy. Such defeats are difficult for many people to accept, and post-fight storylines sometimes throw doubt on the victor's credentials. Conor McGregor's defeat against Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 centered on McGregor's lack of desire and ring rust.

A defeat to Conor McGregor at UFC 264 threatens to discount Poirier's UFC 257 victory as a fluke. Winning the trilogy, on the other hand, would validate Dustin Poirier's status as an overall greater fighter than Conor McGregor at this point in their careers.

Conor McGregor's defeat at UFC 264 might mark the end of his era.

Conor McGregor is still the greatest attraction in the sport of MMA. However, consistency is required to sustain the McGregor brand value. Since his comeback to MMA after the Floyd Mayweather bout, the Irishman has lost two of his three battles.

Even in loss, the Notorious One's performance against Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 was convincing that he could still turn back the clock and reach the top. Another defeat to Poirier at UFC 264 Live will show that the sport has moved on from Conor McGregor and will likely mark the end of the Conor McGregor era, at least in the competitive world of MMA.