3 Lessons The Church Can Learn From Pokemon Go

How this app inspires the church to be intentional within their communities.

32
TechNewsToday

I have spent the past 5 days hunting Pokemon. No, not just in my house or when I'm bored at a restaurant. I have intentionally made plans with friends to go out into my community to search for and seize as many Pokemon as I can before my feet fall off. I've walked countless miles, circled many blocks and collected hundreds of Pokeballs. I've collected, evolved and powered up. I've met countless enthusiastic super fans. I've immersed myself in the culture. Throughout my many experiences, the thought that has kept circling my head is, "If we can get this frenzied and intentional about Pokemon Go, then we can get just as passionate about the church." I keep thinking about how deliberately and thoughtfully made the game is. The more I reflect, the more I realize that the church can learn a lot from the culture of PokemonGo.

1. Pokemon Go has unified many people and communities.

I can't tell you how many people I've walked by and asked one simple word, "Pokemon?" To which, the response is always, "Whoo! Yeah! What team are you on?" These conversations grow into, "What have you found around here? How many have you caught? What's your highest Pokemon CP?" It has been so incredibly fun to speak to people from different generations, locations and backgrounds, all of which I would have passed by if it were not for the fact that we have this one thing in common.

If only the church gets as excited about connecting with those in their own church, let alone their community. I'm guilty of walking by crowds of people on Sunday mornings, even people my age, because I have my own agenda. I'm either tired, hungry or I have a laundry list of things to do for services and Sunday School. What if we weren't afraid to stop and simply ask for someone's name and see how they are doing? What if we cared enough to put ourselves aside to gather with those who are striving toward one common goal?

2. Pokemon Go teaches teamwork and communication.

On one of my first days hunting with my friends, I was told an incredibly funny story.

My friend is in a large park when about 20 to 30 people see a rare Pokemon show up in their area. They quickly divide and canvas the park with clear instructions to yell when they find it. Minutes later, a man yells from across the park, "It's over here!" Then, those same people run toward the voice, all catching the Pokemon.

Why can't the church effortlessly team up for a common cause?

Why do we nitpick everything? Why must we worry about trivial issues? Why can't we just go? We are quick to find excuse. Even worse, we're quick to say that we aren't called, or we need to "pray about it." Now, at times, these are warranted. However, I think many use them as cop-out statements so that they don't have to help a certain ministry or volunteer for a certain outreach. I'm still searching for that scripture that says to go into all the world when it's convenient for us, although I have yet to find it.

3. Pokemon Go teaches us to go out and catch them all.

Oddly enough, Pokemon Go has made me desire to be active every day. I walk a few miles just to go out and try to catch as many Pokemon as I can. Instead of sitting in the comfort of my home watching TV, I desire to be outside, interacting with the world. I want to commune with others like me. I want to meet new people. I also attempt to get my friends who aren't playing to download the app.

How is it that the church is so comfortable remaining inside its doors, instead of traveling outside and reaching those who don't know the Lord?

We know what we like and what we're used to. We know what is comfortable for us, so why would we go out and bring more people in? The Bible says that we are to be witnesses "to Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the Earth." This means that we can't just stay where we are and leach off of our churches and leaders. We must be the leaders and go out and make disciples of all nations.

So what have I learned? I've learned that intentionality is key to growth in our communities, our churches and ourselves. Diversity is achievable when sought after with pure intentions. Most importantly, I've learned that reaching the world for Christ is really as simple as taking a step out of your front door. I challenge you to do the same.