3-fanstically-weird-tips-for-writing

3 Fantastically Weird Writing Tips

Sometimes proper grammar, stellar word-choice and breathtaking plot devices aren't enough.

36
Flickr

Part of being a writer is understanding the line between a moving, delectable piece and just throwing words on the page. However, you don't have to be a writer to understand some quirky tips to get your writing off the ground and into the air. Whether you're working on that first term paper of the semester or desperately searching for a little kick-start to that new short story, these tips may prove to be helpful. Let's check it out.

Sit in a coffee shop and eavesdrop.

Nobody admits it but we all have done it.

Now, obviously, this doesn't have to be a coffee shop. It can be the grocery store (which, in my town, just happens to be one and the same), the local gas station, your hair salon, whatever! The point is to get out of your own head and into the heads of others. It's easy to slip into one-dimensional writing by living in our own world. We're writers, that's what we do! But we need to be diligent to remember that we are tasked with connecting the barest parts of the world to ourselves. For example, we can't just write about the magical unicorns that bop through our minds throughout the day. We must acknowledge the plight of the overworked mother, the emotionally scarred child or the cute little lady hobbling through the grocery store. What are their stories and why do they matter? Listen to what others say and actually hear what they are saying. (Just don't get arrested in the process)

Eat something weird before bed.

Be daring! Eat that Cajun-spiced calamari!

I've noticed that some of my best ideas/inspiration come during the night, particularly after eating something out of the ordinary for dinner. This doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a shot. We've all heard the writing hack "keep a notebook by your bed to write down random ideas." Take it a step further and push your body and mind. The best part of this hack is you get to use the excuse of personal growth to try new foods! Spicy foods tend to yield the greatest result in this process. Anything from Mexican salsas or Middle-eastern cuisines can prove useful. I warn you to keep in mind that, even if you do succeed in having vivid dreams, have of it won't be workable material. If anything, you might wake up a bit unsettled. Don't fret, it can take time.

Use music to set the mood for a writing session.

Go wild!

The key to this particular hack is to use music that you may not necessarily enjoy on a personal level. Pick a genre that matches the tone of the scene (or topic) you want to write. This may take some getting used to. For example, I'm not a fan of punk rock/metal vibes at all, but I will listen to it whilst I write a particularly "angsty" scene between characters. As artists, I think we need to challenge ourselves to use all mediums available to us. These mediums will work for us as inspiration, drive, as the possibility of betterment. Keep in mind this may not work for everyone! Some people need soothing music in order to properly focus and others might hate a particular type of music so much that they can't even write. Feel it out and choose what works best for you!