26 Things I Learned In 2016

26 Things I Learned In 2016

365 days filled with adventure, joy, heartbreak and minor-major life changes.

13
26 Things I Learned In 2016
Jaimee Hood

It’s already a week into 2017. I don’t think just one day of reflection on last year is enough. 2016 was by far one of the most formative years of my life. 365 days filled with adventures, joy, heartbreak and life changes.

I’ve compiled a list of things I learned in 2016. Some are more profound than others. I hope you enjoy.

1. I learned how to drive a car.
  2. I learned how to talk to boys (kind of).
  3. I realized that I am a better leader than I give myself credit for.
  4. I learned that sometimes it takes more than one try to get something just how you want it.
  5. Sometimes it’s worth it, sometimes it’s not.
  6. I learned that people are downright nasty sometimes.
  7. I learned that faking a smile and a calm voice is actually a really important life skill, but so is the ability to find things to real-smile at even on the worst of days.
  8. I got really good at pretending to be busy.
  9. Friendships are difficult, but worth it.
  10. Sometimes you get to choose your family. Sometimes, you don't.
  11. Vulnerability has great rewards.
  12. You’ll never start a friendship until you start reaching out to people (this seems like a no-brainer, but it seriously took me a while to learn).
  13. I have a resting concerned face. I think it has something to do with my eyebrow shape. It causes people to ask me if I’m okay a lot, when normally I’m thinking about One Direction.
  14. People can hear you when you sing in the car… if you sing loud enough.
  15. Not all drive-thru’s have two windows.
  16. People tend to be 1000% nicer than you think they are.
  17. Writing a book is really hard, but really awesome.
  18. I really, really enjoy making lists.
  19. Jesus is genuinely the best friend you’ll ever have.
  20. I used to think I was a hardcore introvert, but lately I’m learning how much energy I gain from meaningful interaction with people.
  21. Watching movies hurts my eyes.
  22. I really like learning, but I really don’t like textbooks.
  23. Kids say really weird, nonsensical stuff sometimes, but I usually follow their trains of thought with disturbing ease.
  24. I learned how to survive a year without One Direction.
  25. Not all decisions are easy… but they become easier when you sit yourself down and decide to make it happen.
  26. I actually really love growing up.

Learning is one of my favorite things to do, as I mentioned before. There's a whole lot of world out there, and I recognize that I am still young and have many more realizations to make over my lifetime. Here's to absorbing everything that 2017 has to offer me as I continue to grow into a quasi-adult.