poetry quotes for everyone

Poetry On Odyssey: 25 Tennyson Quotes To Inspire And Appreciate

"So many worlds, so much to do, so little done, such things to be."
34

We all know Alfred Lord Tennyson as the Victorian-era author of the poem “The Lady of Shallot”, but most do not know about the beautiful and motivational words that he penned or spoke during his life. Tennyson is my second favorite poet, for the story foundation, his creativity, and finally because of his language. On a dark day like today, take a moment and read through his quotes for inspiration!

“If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.”

Pathway Between Pink Tulip Flowers · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

"By Blood a king, by heart a clown"

Boy Wearing Crown Statue · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

Judge people based on their actions rather than their title. Their hearts may not mirror the stature of their appearance and name.

“Tis better to have loved and lost/Than never to have loved at all.”

Cemetery Under the Cloudy Sky · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“I am a part of all that I have met.”

Woman Closing Her Eyes Against Sun Light Standing Near Purple Petaled Flower Plant · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“Ring out the old, ring in the new...Ring out the false, ring in the true"

Gray Steel Bells · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

"A lie which is a half truth is ever the blackest of lies."

Lighted Candle · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

What most people consider a 'white lie' Tennyson calls the "blackest of lies", reminding us that if any of it is not true, it's a complete lie.

“Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die”

Question Mark Illustration · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

"Knowledge comes, but wisdom stays”

Light Inside Library · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“Once in a golden hour/I cast to earth a seed./Up there came a flower,/The people said, a weed.”

White Dandelion Flower Shallow Focus Photography · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

As a photographer, I can relate to this. I'm always focused on hidden beauty, or small, inconsequential things. I find beauty in everything, often in things that most people would just discard or ignore

“The shell must break before the bird can fly.”

Flying Yellow Bird · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“Authority forgets a dying king”

Gray Concrete Gravestone · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“My purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset and the baths of all the Western stars until I die.”

Boat on Body of Water during Sunset · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“So many worlds, so much to do, so little done, such things to be.”

Notebook · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“Forever and forever when I move./How dull it is to pause, to make an end,/To rust unburnished, not to shine in use!/As though to breathe were life!”

Man Standing in Front of Window · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“brief is life but love is long.”

Man in Black Long-sleeved Shirt and Woman in Black Dress · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair.”

Person Sitting Beside Wall Inside Empty Room · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“I sometimes find it half a sin,/To put to words the grief I feel,/For words like nature, half reveal,/and half conceal the soul within,”

Selective Focus Photo of Cemetery Lantern · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“A courage to endure and to obey”

Woman Sitting on Mountain · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“Ring out false pride in place and blood,/The civic slander and the spite;/Ring in the love of truth and right./Ring in the common love of good.”

Brown Metal Bell · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“A sorrow’s crown of sorrow is remembering happier things”

Grayscale Photo of Petaled Flower · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“if you don't concentrate on what you are doing then the thing that you are doing is not what you are thinking.”

3x3 Rubik's Cube · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“Gentleness, when it weds with manhood, makes a man.”

Soldier Giving Red Fruit on 2 Children during Daytime · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“He makes no friend who never made a foe.”

Chess Piece · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“I can but trust that good shall fall / At last—far off—at last, to all.”

Selective Focus Photography of Child's Hand on Person's Palm · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

“If I be dear to someone else, / Then I should be to myself more dear”

White and Black Heart Printed Accessory · Free Stock Photo

www.pexels.com

One of many great free stock photos from Pexels. This photo is about thank you, wood, wooden.

Tennyson had a lot to say, and he sure went ahead and said it. I love his poetry because he has such emotion, inspiring language, and meaning. His poetry isn't just flowery words, but they actually mean things. I encourage you to go read more of Tennyson and check out his full-length poetry if you haven't! Tennyson is especially interesting to me because